Question about a box found in a B-25

cutiger83

Recently, I was in a B-25 that had been converted to civilian use after the war. At the top of the stairs into the cockpit, I saw this box that says "PRE FLIGHT ITEMS" on the side. The box was empty.

Does anyone know if this box was from during the civilian use or is it from the military use? I have been looking thru some B-25 manuals but haven't seen anything resembling this box so I am leaning towards it being a civilian item.

Thanks in advance for any assistance....Kat

P1020046.JPG

Probably a storage box for the pitot tube covers and other items removed from the aircraft during pre-flight. Most likely a post-war addition I'd guess.

What model is the B-25?

This box was not just for the pitot tube cover, depending on its size it might have contained the tow bar, the bottle that was used to check for water in the fuel tank, and anything that would lock control surfaces or have "Remove Before Flight" streamers.

Some B-25s were still in the Air Force inventory as late as the early 1960s and used either for training or as executive transports.

Very correct, completely not original to the aircraft.

Having said that, every B-25 I have flown has some form of added storage.

Some of these are like this one in purpose...a place to store small items such as

pitot tube cover, any safety pins or clips, fuel sump tool, rags, a few tools...etc.

I can honestly say that I have never seen one mounted in this location and quite frankly,

I almost can't think of a worse place.

My guess is you could easily catch a corner of it coming out of the flight deck and slip.

John

John,

Thank you for responding. I was actually going to send you a PM about this. :)

The plane is a B-25D that was converted after the war to civilian use. This box is not attached to the plane.The box is about 2 feet long and looks too short for a tow bar. I did open the box to find is was empty and lined with green felt. I think it was just placed there after the plane was placed in the museum. I heard the plane was flown to an airport, placed on a barge, then placed in the museum. This was in 1981.

Thanks for everyone's help....Kat

Then it's a pretty good chance that the box is civilian in origin and may have been stowed somewhere else in the airplane.

The bomber's maintenance logs may shed some light on the issue. You may also want to examine the interior for a possible tie down point. I wouldn't think it was just loosely placed inside the bomber because that could have been dangerous om flight.

If it was lined in green felt, there's a good chance that things like the sump bottle, assorted covers and pins were placed there as a central collection point where they could be located or collected quickly and not scratched or broken.

Would be a nice ride in the nose of that airplane.