Navy G-1 flight Jacket with CBI Patch Blood Chit

Austin R

My friend is downsizing his collection and offered this to me for sale. Before I buy it, I want to find out more about it. I was mostly curious about the CBI blood chit on a navy flight jacket. Has this been seen before?

4eLNxzW.jpg

vqr21XP.jpg

I've seen jackets without the usn stencils and ones with it from the period. I know the leather blood chit is real, I was just curious that an army chit is on a navy jacket.

It did happen but you really need to date this jacket as WWII period. To do that, details of the lining, tag, zipper and fly would be needed.

I've seen jackets without the usn stencils and ones with it from the period. I know the leather blood chit is real, I was just curious that an army chit is on a navy jacket.

Could be Marine Corps as well....Did any USMC flying units participate in China?....Bodes

All USN and USMC G-1 jackets are post WW2, I do not believe G1 came out before 1947.

During WW2 the USN and USMC Used the jacket type M422, M422A or AN-J3A or AN6553

I do not believe That type,of blood chit would have been used after WW2 and not proper for a G-1 unless I am missing something.

All USN and USMC G-1 jackets are post WW2, I do not believe G1 came out before 1947.

During WW2 the USN and USMC Used the jacket type M422, M422A or AN-J3A or AN6553

I do not believe That type,of blood chit would have been used after WW2 and not proper for a G-1 unless I am missing something.

I just assumed they were all called G1s, so it could be one of those models. Would this blood chit be correct for a WWII Navy jacket?

Yes, the G-1 designation is a post war designation but without the above mentioned details,it can be hard to tell if this one is a pre G-1 jacket of WWII period. Once again, yes, you might find a chit on a Navy style leather flight jacket in WWII. Tex Hill of the famed flying tigers wore but one famous example if I recall correctly. Determine first what model jacket you have here and move forward from there.

Don't WW2 G-1's have USN stenciled behind the collar?

Painted "USN" under the collar was used up till about 1956/57. After that, the "USN" is perforated into the zipper flap.

The first Navy flight jacket to have "G-1" on the label came out in 1947. Prior to that, here are the contracts and their start dates.

M-422 March, 28 1940

M-422a October 1, 1940

AN-6552 and AN-J-3 April 15, 1943

AN-J-3a October 5, 1943

G-1, 55-J-14 October 31, 1947

G-1, Mil-J-7823 November 21, 1951

G-1, Mil-J-7823B May 18, 1954

G-1, Mil-J-7823C August 1, 1956

This list may have changed over the years with all the research that's come out, but these are your basics and provide enough information to keep you out of trouble, lol.

Painted "USN" under the collar was used up till about 1956/57. After that, the "USN" is perforated into the zipper flap.

The first Navy flight jacket to have "G-1" on the label came out in 1947. Prior to that, here are the contracts and their start dates.

M-422 March, 28 1940

M-422a October 1, 1940

AN-6552 and AN-J-3 April 15, 1943

AN-J-3a October 5, 1943

G-1, 55-J-14 October 31, 1947

G-1, Mil-J-7823 November 21, 1951

G-1, Mil-J-7823B May 18, 1954

G-1, Mil-J-7823C August 1, 1956

This list may have changed over the years with all the research that's come out, but these are your basics and provide enough information to keep you out of trouble, lol.

Thank you, is there any way to tell without the tag? At some point the liner was removed. I'm pretty confident the jacket is WWII vintage, but I was confused by the army SSI on the chit.

Thank you, is there any way to tell without the tag? At some point the liner was removed. I'm pretty confident the jacket is WWII vintage, but I was confused by the army SSI on the chit.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Could you post pictures of the front of the jacket as well as the painted USN or US under the collar. A closeup of the cuffs and waist would help too.

Thanks!

Could you post pictures of the front of the jacket as well as the painted USN or US under the collar. A closeup of the cuffs and waist would help too.

Thanks!

Hi stony,

I don't have the jacket in hand, so these are the only photos I have. When I looked at it, the usn stencil was long gone. Since it does not have usn punched into the leather, does that make it pre 1947? Also I'm still wondering about the blood chit.

The punches in the wind flap showed up for the first time I believe late 50s early 60s

The early production G-1 jackets had USN under the collar like the WW2 jackets. I beleive you can find late 50s jackets with both the USN punched in the wind flap and painted under the collar

again just my opinion

Thanks Mike

I don't have the jacket in hand, so these are the only photos I have. When I looked at it, the usn stencil was long gone. Since it does not have usn punched into the leather, does that make it pre 1947? Also I'm still wondering about the blood chit.

Punched wind flap showed up around 56/57. We'll need to see pictures of the front, the zipper and the knits to properly ID this jacket.

I beleive you can find late 50s jackets with both the USN punched in the wind flap and painted under the collar

Yes, there are some that have both, but those are rare. I believe they had some jackets left over with the painted USN under the collar, so when the Navy regulations changed for the contractors, they just punched it into the wind flap.

I agree, you need to show photos of the knits, the zipper, the front laying flat, in particular the windflap and pockets. With these photos it is impossible to say. Quick side note, it looks like there is a leather issue and the fact that there is no label are both major issues to value.

JD

The cuffs are a different color than the waist material, so we can pretty much tell that those have been replaced at some point. And there's the leather issue on the back that JDK points out and that could be a huge issue. The value of this jacket could come down to just the blood chit based on all the issues we already know about.

Well its a dead ringer for a post war G1 jacket as far as I can see right now. Don't know enought about the earlier jackets to say anything about an ID for certain.

As I understand no liner or tag. A big question mark or a big reduction on the value of the jacket

The CBI insignia was used by all services as a form of identification during WW2. Not just the Army.

The leather chit is a souvenir type chit. People can swear up and down its period but the fakes are getting so good its hard to say. Might try a black light on the threads and see if they glow. Just as an experiment though. Won't tell you anything for sure.

Jacket looks like its pretty aged on the back above the chit with drying and cracking. Does the chit show appropriate aging and wear to match the jacket?

Personally I don't see alot of value there but that is in the eye of the beholder.

I enlarged the pictures and it looks like the blood chit was sewn over dry cracked leather. In other words there are cracks coming out from under the chit. To me that doesn't look right. On the flap it looks as though I can see the perforated USN stamp. I can't bet on it cause it is still hard to see. But it dang sure looks like there are punch marks there. I hope it's a good one for you.

Ronnie