Info sought on EGAs

Tonomachi

Last Sunday I attended an insignia show and purchased the larger sterling & 221 marked EGA for fifty dollars. It is missing the rear mounting nut. I'm guessing officers hat piece but what era and does anyone know which manufacture used the numbers 221. The second smaller EGA I bought at a flea market Friday for sixty dollars. I got it from a lady who sells nothing but jewelry. She had it because the anchor is made of solid gold. She tested it for me before I bought it and it appears to be made of gold. The eagle and globe are probably made of sterling silver however there are no markings. This piece looks like it has never had a screw post. The rear pin back is of the type that only open half way like WW2 era pilot badges. So is this a sweetheart piece. Any ideas.

post-1389-1219633216.jpg

post-1389-1219633313.jpg

post-1389-1219633324.jpg

post-1389-1219633335.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Superb find! You have a very desirable dress collar emblem. It dates to the very early 20's, at a time, when pre WW1 designs were in use. The globe & anchor designs of the period were in transition from molded continents on the globe to hand applied continents - and from hand rolled stempling work on the globe (shown here) to machine fret work seen latter in the decade. The locking pinback vice the C clip is also a sure sign of early 20's and beyond. The outline of the continents is a sure clue as to the maker: Gemsco. They were likely the most popular - widely used make of EGA's up to that time, in hallmarked and non-hallmarked samples. These are very difficult to find as a set (pair) and several folks here are seeking these from that period to complete a uniform. I definitely would inquire if she has the left collar, to complete this set? s/f Darrell

post_1389_1219633545.jpg

PS - just saw Bob's comments - CONCUR - The barracks cover emblem is of pre 55' vintage

The un-marked piece is a right collar dress emblem. The fact that it is real gold & silver likely pushes its creation back to pre-WWI. The drop-in lock is often seen on insignia produced around WWI as well. It's a beauty with lots of what appears to be hand finishing. Great find especially at that price! Now the quest will be to find its mate!

The '221' marked emblem is definitely an Officer's Dress Hat badge and the 'serial' number denotes a manufacturer and approved pattern, usually found as Bob stated on post-1955 emblems. The design however, appears to be the M1937 pattern, usually found on H-H marked pieces, with the wide wings and spread legs. This may be a "transition" piece, made just as Regs changed in the mid-50s.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

P.S. Posted this just as Darrell posted his. My comments are not intended to rebutt his observations. Go Darrell! S/F-BG

jeremiahcable

Excellent finds on your part! I can't add much more other than I believe 221 was Vanguard's marking. Again, excellent pick ups at a sweet, sweet price!!