Recently Found China Marine Related Images

Dirk

Excellent photos; the clarity and subject matter make these a joy to look at. It's a look into a world long gone.

RC

RC thanks! The restorer used a high res scanner....and it seems to have brought out some great details. I have a few more of Haiti that I want to have done.

Brig I will have to ID him .... I see he was in the Second Div during WWI. So I should find him easily

No I don't believe so as the pouch was manufactured locally in Peking and was used by men on guard mount. This information was passed to me by several China Marines who bought it to my attention when asked about specific local manufactured gear for the Det.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I would add to this thread with several more additions. First off is a recent pick up....an original drawing by Capt John Thomason, known as the "Kipling of the Corps." Author and artist he wrote over eleven books and numerous articles documenting the Marines and Texas history. What I like about this drawing is ...he added it to wrapping paper he used to send a Christmas gift back home in 1931. Also with the drawing was an inscribed copy of his book "Fix Bayonets" that he may have sent as the Christmas gift. Kind of nice to have an original drawing with a Chinese theme by him.

thomasondraw.jpg

Next up is from a photo grouping I took a chance on several weeks ago...the seller noted it covered the fighting in Shanghai in 1932 but chose only to show atrocity photos common in China Marine albums. But included enough of a description that I thought maybe there was more to the grouping...in this case there was. Although many of the images were stock photos in poor condition..there were about 20-30 private photos of Marines along the Soochow. Several I scanned at 600 dpi so am pleased with the detail pulled out of them. Here are but a few:

at the barricades.jpeg

A shot of refugees fleeing and the original groupings orwner with a fellow Marine posing near the Fung Mills. He noted the mill was hit several times by shells and machine gun fire while he was there.

fleeingX.jpg

fung.jpeg

Now here is a post war image of a young boy nicknamed "Jingle Bells". He was found cold and hungry, by several Marines on Christmas Eve and brought back to the barracks in Tientsin where the Marines adopted him.

jingles.png

Dirk - A "WOW!" is in order. Congrats. That Thomason wrapping paper sketch is fantastic. Frame thatr little beauty. The SooChaow pics are also outstanding. Fabuloso! BUT, what's going on with that squad bay pic? Either the Marines forgot to pay their houseboy or they all got lazy on their China-side duty. They were taught in boot-camp, I suppose, that the blanket was supposed to be stretched tight enough to bounce a quarter in the air! Ugly racks! Enhance the part that shows the head-gear. Semper Fi.......Bob

Thanks Bob! Will get that Thomason drawing restored and framed for sure! Maybe the bunks did not get made that day cause of that whole Soochow Creek thing :) great talking with you today!