WWII 10K sterling H&H EGA

Bob Hudson

This is the uniform cap of a woman who served as a Marine Corps officer in WWII. I hadn't thought much about it until I posted the uniform was sale and it was pointed out it's a collar insignia. So how big is the cover device that goes with this size of collar device?

4.jpg

The globe is pretty much the size of an enlisted cover EGA.

1.jpg

egasize.jpg

2.jpg

Indeed is a dress collar emblem. I've owned a few uniforms with incorrect emblem placements. Likely someone found it all together and made an incorrect assumption

Bob,

The officers dress cover emblem is the same size as the officers service emblems. They are both larger and face the opposite direction. Officer dress collar emblems are slightly bigger than their service uniform collar emblem counterparts. In WWII neither the service or dress collar emblems had ropes around the anchor. Only the cover emblems had fouled anchors. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

That was me. I got it from the daughter of the WWII woman Marine officer. Her father was a career Marine officer.

This uniform was just one of many purchases I've made the past few days and I didn't really focus on the EGA before. On this cap the size works and I didn't notice the direction. I guess it can be a filler piece until the next owner can find the appropriate piece:

1.jpg

Bob

there are anomalies that do happen.I have found pictures of the left facing anchor worn.Even handled a group of woman's items where the darkened WW1 or 1920's emblem was worn on the cap.There was also the war time plastic in the group.

Often times, those photos with the wrong facing emblems are inverted. Not sure how it was done in the days of film, but I've seen several that it had happened with and always make it a habit to check the way the jacket was closed to confirm

Often times, those photos with the wrong facing emblems are inverted. Not sure how it was done in the days of film, but I've seen several that it had happened with and always make it a habit to check the way the jacket was closed to confirm

Yes that is common.