Ref Thread: USCG Good Conduct Medal

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Having threatened to do this for awhile I thought I would use this Sunday to take the pictures and do the post. I have quite few pictures to post so please hold off any comments until I get them all up.

The Coast Guard Good Conduct was first authorized in 1921 and comes in two types. Type one is the larger "gong" type with the top bar and was awarded until right after the Korean War. Type two has a smaller pendant, no top bar, a ring suspension and is generally not engraved. Type I's are the subject of this post.

The subsequent award bars are unique in design and will only be seen with CG Good Conducts. A few Coast Guard terms can help date medals and/or identify the man's place or unit of service. The term DIVISION was used prior to the establishment of CG DISTRICTS. These were larger HQ type units that controlled larger areas. Initially divisions or districts were named after places or cities but as the Coast Guard grew they were numbered as larger areas were assigned to them. For example the 7th Coast Guard District covers all of Florida, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, Puerto Rico; you get the idea. Groups are smaller sub units of Districts. COTP stands for Captain of the Port. CGAS obviously is Coast Guard Air Station. Cutters can be identified either by CGC and the ship's name or just the ship's name without the CGC. If you find a medal to a ship with USS preceeding the name these would be Navy transports that were crewed by the Coast Guard during WW2.

Here is an un-named example of the type I medal:

post-83-1219617644.jpg

post-83-1219617655.jpg

Garth Thompson

The design of the subsequent award bars are unique to the Coast Guard Good Conduct. On the face will be the unit the man was serving in at the time of the award and engraved on the inside will be the date of the award. The bar snaps in place on the medal ribbon.

post-83-1219617825.jpg

post-83-1219617839.jpg

Garth Thompson

A nice WW2 pair to Victor D. LaPlante of California. Victor was a crewman on the USS Serpens which was sunk by a US submarine in a friendly fire incident with the los of all hands except a handful that were ashore at the time. Victor was one of these luckey ones. I have his other WW2 medals, some photos and his ID bracelet.

post-83-1219618249.jpg

Garth Thompson

A nice 1952 Korean War award. The other medals with this group are the Korean War pair and a National Defence.

post-83-1219618433.jpg

Garth Thompson

A nice dual service group: Army and CG. The other medals are AMDef, PTO and WW2 Victory. The man served in the army in WW2 and later in the Coast Guard.

post-83-1219618563.jpg

Garth Thompson

Dual Service group to a WW1 US Navy sailor with subsequent long service in the Coast Guard. These are unigue in the award dates are engraved on the back of the bars not on the inside reverse.

post-83-1219618755.jpg

post-83-1219618765.jpg

post-83-1219618772.jpg

Garth Thompson

Nice multi bar medal to a WW2 Coast Guardsman who also served in China and the occupation of Japan with the authorization card. He must have been a little bit of a bad boy as there is a three year gap in his Good Conduct awards. I have all his other awards.

post-83-1219619025.jpg

post-83-1219619032.jpg

Garth Thompson

Interesting medal with another to the same man with the same award date but a differant unit and engraving style. Possibly a later correction or replacement medal.

post-83-1219619683.jpg

Garth Thompson

A nice 1930's medal to a man that was on two cutters and in the San Perdo Group. The ribbon is shot on this one.

post-83-1219620330.jpg

Beautiful Coast Guard CGMs. Thanks for sharing the reverse engraving styles. Am I correct that there seems to be no ryme or reason the the various engraving styles?

John

Garth Thompson
Beautiful Coast Guard CGMs. Thanks for sharing the reverse engraving styles. Am I correct that there seems to be no ryme or reason the the various engraving styles?

John

John,

Your observation is correct. I haven't been able to determine a rhyme or reason to the engraving styles other than the earlier ones seem to be more inclined to the fancy, flowing script. I haven't found one from the 30's yet that exhibits the straight block script of the late 40's and early 50's. That being said there are some later ones with the flowing script. I suspect this lack of standardization comes from the Coast Guard being so small each medal was individually done on order and the type of script used was determined by the engraver. Hope that made sense. The dating on the subsequent award bars is pretty standard straight letter/number engraving i.e. month-day-year XX-XX-XXXX.

Thanks for your comments,

Garth

Sorry it took so long but had to dig out my photo files, rather than to take it off the medal board. I about fell over and fumbled my money when the seller said 10 bucks. w00t.gif

post-87-1219849934.jpg