pre-ww2 gold pilot wing

crazy-monsooner

crazy-monsooner

Dear all,

here is my new wing. it is a gold colored pilot wing without any marking in the back. pin and hinge is pre-ww2 style. I think it is a pre-ww2 wing.

Based on Patrick's web page, gold pilot wing always used as civil instructor wing. Hope to hear your opinion. Thanks

CM

CIMG2768.jpg

CIMG2765.jpg

CIMG2781.jpg

While I can't quote Chapter & Verse of any USAF Regs, it's my understanding in my fading memory that for a very short time after the U.S. Air Force became a separate branch in 1947, all metal insignia & buttons were to be in gilt. This did not last long and the silver badges & buttons were authorized. Perhaps another member can elaborate on this. If correct, this is a scarce wing badge from that era.

Bobgee

Hi

I don't know much about the 1947 USAF uniform but I would tend to believe that this is a civilian pilot wing or civilian instructor wing.

During the 1930's the FDR administration began to really push for development of the civilian aircraft/airline industry by establishing the CAA. They were tasked with trying to develop civilian aviation in the US, including building airports, developing new airlines, aircraft manufacturing and pilot training. A number of Universities and Collages began the offer flight training (for example Tuskeegee was one of the first all black schools to offer flight training and these pilots would later form the core of the Tuskeegee Airmen). As you can imagine, these schools/airports/airlines had any number of uniforms, patches, and insignia, but since they were not part of the military, they were not allowed to wear military uniforms and insignia. Before the war started, as part of the Lend Lease program, at least 6 private civilian aviation schools began to train British and Candian flight cadets.

Once it was clear that the US was likely to enter the war, 20 of the largest civilian flight schools were contracted to begin to train pilots in basic flight. These were the CFS schools (Contract flight schools) and included places like Cal-Aero. Before the military could pick up the slack and train the pilots themselves, the civilian flight instructors were worth more in the schools training pilots than opposed to being in the service flying combat. You can imagine the issues this raised with those of a patriotic bend who didnt want to be seen as slackers, but they were still not allowed to wear military uniforms. So, what you see in photos of the time is that many of these civilian flight schools outfitted their instructors and staff in paramilitary style uniforms and insignia. One obvious candidate for this are the gold colored USAAF pilot wings. Eventually, (IIRC) in around 1943-44, the more tranditional "Eagle head" and a CAA-WTS Indian head wings were used to provide some uniformity for the civilian flight instructor uniforms.

I know that the Cal-Aero would present its instructors with very nicely engraved gold plated pilot wings. On the other hand, it is also possible that one of the local, home-grown airlines/cropdusters had a pair of shiny gold wings to wear on their company outfit.

So, if I had to guess, I would say that these wings are likely from the just pre- to early war period and may very well have been worn by a civilian flight instructor or a pilot for a small airline company. A couple of very nice books exist that explore this time frame in US aviation history.

Perhaps more information than you were seeking?

Patrick

Patrick, I don't know about crazy-monsooner, but I appreciate the info! here are the gold shirt size wings that I posted about a year ago. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=1299&hl=

Thanks again for the information!

Those are neat wings. Likely the back markings stands for 14K rolled gold plated (R.G.P.) and Hilbourne & Hamberger (or vis a versa). I forgot to mention that lots of the patriotic jewelry was made in gold as well. A variety of things for wear by mothers/girlfriends/wives and also for wear on civilian clothes (like the lapel). I have also seen variations of collar devices made of gold, but they usually are more like the wing and prop device of the USAAF. In general, I have always suspected the smaller gold wings were intended more for wear for patriotic jewelry, but no reason it couldnt have been used for other purposes.

Patrick