Yesterday's Navy Aviation Wing Finds - pre-WWII bullion wing

irish

Turned these two pieces up yesterday while out beating bushes. Very Nice Bullion Pilot Wing. Several different types of bullion used. Unsure of where these were made, possibly overseas, measures 3 1/4". While it looks a bit like a WW1 wing it may likely be WW2. A Bevo enlisted pilot rate dated 1943. I have seen these referred to as Australian made but unable to confirm that at the moment. Both of these were part of an older, small, but well put together group of Navy wings. Hope you enjoy.

post-758-0-30029600-1452532351.jpg

Hello irish,

Wow! What a spectacular bullion Naval Aviator wing! I perceive it as a 1920's to early 1930's

piece. I look forward to hearing what others have to say. Thank you for posting the nice images...

Hey Russ, nice to hear from you, much appreciate you weighing in on the wing. We will say "tween" the wars. Here is another wing from this group that looked a bit odd in that it has an almost exaggerated anchor size. 2 3/4" wing span and no makers mark. Drop in type catch. Nice detailing on the wings. Hopefully others will look in and offer opinions. thanks again Jack

post-758-0-31423500-1452542870.jpg

Word is that this wing, know as the "Large Anchor" variation, was discovered in quantity in the back of an old tailor shop

in So Cal in the 1960's, probably dating from WWII.

It has also been mistakenly referred to as a Coast Guard wing, which as a specific type never existed.

99% of these are unmarked, although I do have one which is marked STERLING.

Nice WWII large anchor aviators wing badge.

John

Two more wings from this group. Both 2 3/4" in size. Flight Surgeon and Observer. Is anyone familiar with the maker on the Observer wing "MACO".? Have looked about but have not found a mark similar. The Observer may be an earlier type with the open C catch. I recognize the HH maker mark on the flight surgeon. All input is appreciated. Jack

post-758-0-70133400-1452616171.jpg

I would say all pre-war wings.. probably closer to WW2 than earlier.

really nice ones though.. can't say I've ever heard of MACO.

-Brian

I would say all pre-war wings.. probably closer to WW2 than earlier.

really nice ones though.. can't say I've ever heard of MACO.

-Brian

Just an FYI, the USN Flight Surgeon wing badge wasn't authorized till 1942.

It was replaced in 1952 with the second pattern.

John

Thanks TC and Brian. As far as MA CO, one might think M.A. Company, whoever M.A. was. Thanks Jack

Hello Jack,

I'm sorry for my slow response, but I had a difficult time locating my "brain book" which contains hand written tid-bits of information on wings I've collected over the years. Well I found it and I'm quite certain you're right on track with the identification of that "M.A. Company" hallmark. I have a 1940's commercial airlines cap piece hallmarked with:

"Metal Arts Co. - Rochester, N.Y."

I suspect your handsome WWII Naval Observer wing was produced, or was at least contracted, by the same folks.

Thanks for posting the nice variety of aerial badges.

Russ

Russ thank you again for looking in and the research. Metal Arts makes good sense. That name definately is ringing a bell.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Jack