Civil War surgeon's saw? HELP

I got this at an antique store for $4. I think it is a surgeons saw becuase it would be useless for cutting wood and metal since the bar behind the blade would stop it. Maybe the bar is for seperating the bone? DL is carved into it. Please help anyone!

post-3878-1219604389.jpg

101combatvet

First it is not Civil War period.... second based on the construction.... it really doesn't look like something a surgeon would use.

I would say not medical at all, the way it's constructed it would be hard to sterilize it. Secondly that is a hacksaw blade attached to it. I've not seen blued steel blades used medically. Thirdly(?) I've used similiar devices for cutting small bits like screws, bar stock or anything that isn't thicker than the blade.

I got this at an antique store for $4. I think it is a surgeons saw becuase it would be useless for cutting wood and metal since the bar behind the blade would stop it. Maybe the bar is for seperating the bone? DL is carved into it. Please help anyone!

post-3878-1219604389.jpg

This is a close quarters hack saw. I used one of these in the electrical trade. I also have a smaller version as well. It works very well but you cannot apply much pressure to the blade to cut fast but it works well inside walls and such if you take your time. Dave