Us m3 knife with m6 scabbard

ardennes44

SBL was a manufacturer of M6 scabbards in WW2, and I have yet to get one for my collection. SBL made 35,000 M6 scabbards in WW2. SKIP

I see 2 opinions on the sheath, real and repro. We need more opinions. I thought they both looked good but I'm no expert. Is it the crosshatched design on the scabbard that is troubling? I figured that was just some customization by a prior owner.

The only problem I see with the scabbard is that it's not in my collection! All kidding aside, both pieces look great to me. Service Boot & Leggings made scabbards are among the most desirable out there. Looks like someone customized it with the lines etched across the front. Nothing to be concerned about here but the price.

Lets keep in mind that changeovers in markings and in packaging with specific scabbards did not happen all at once. It is likely that although certain changes were ordered in a specific month, that the actual change may not have occurred promptly and stock on hand may have been packed a month or two after a change had been made.

I have recently revised my chart based on the best information that I have available, mostly taken from official Ordnance sources as published at times by Frank Trzaska.

It may be noted that the first month of guard marked M3 knives is also the last month that M6 scabbards are shown as being delivered. It is possible that an M6 scabbard could have been mated with a guard marked M3 when they were packaged. There was a long overlap while M6s were being phased out of production and the M8 was being started up.

post-66-0-73633700-1452374886.jpg

I have 3 mint guard marked M3s that came w/ M6 scabbards, from the guy who opened the boxes. Have seen at least a dozen over the years, same condition. SKIP

Gary,

Thanks for the update. Glad there are experts like you who can keep up on these types of matters. It certainly makes it a lot more comforting for a non expert like me to make a purchase.

Ken

Thanks all for replies ;-)

It was a gift for helping an American soldier. Was this type of scabbard, intended only for the paratroopers? I do not think that because there were no us paratroopers at the place where it was found .

Have you an idea about the value ?

If I had to guess I'd say 300.00 for the scabbard,200.00 plus for the knife. I'm not a expert but I see plenty on eBay. I might be a bit low.

Most of the really nice knives I have found that were actually issued come from Army Air Force members. Most of them were not used or were mailed home.

I hear mention of Airforce. I thought it was called Army Air Corp. can someone set me straight on this? Was there a difference?

Hi

Air Corps (USAC) : Pre 1941

Army Air Force (USAAF) : 1941 - 1947

US Air force (USAF) : since 1947

I'd be careful about getting too literal over the wording. Your going to find lots of things from WW2 with Army Air Corp. on them. You'll also see many references and quotes from WW2 still saying Corp. instead of Force. In many instances it amounts to a difference without a real distinction.

I'd be careful about getting too literal over the wording. Your going to find lots of things from WW2 with Army Air Corp. on them. You'll also see many references and quotes from WW2 still saying Corp. instead of Force. In many instances it amounts to a difference without a real distinction.

Sure. I did not mean to be too literal over the wording. It is just a first help. There are some exceptions. it would be too easy otherwise.

Here is an example of a ww2 bailout bottle marked ... US AIR FORCE

post-106404-0-27404500-1452534161.jpg

No confusion .... in my hasty response while working in about 5 different windows... I made a mistake.. hopefully you did not spend much time agonizing over it...I meant Army Air Corps...but as has been pointed out I have seen things labeled and referred to during WWII as Army Air Forces, etc.