What is this? Was this used for a WWII radio? Please help.

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I purchased a pile of military odds and ends at an auction last week and this was in the pile. I am not sure what it was used for but I am sure you all will be able to help me out. The name Red Lion Cabinet Co. is stenciled on the top and it is dated 1944. As you can see the straps have been removed. I believe this was used for a radio but I am not sure what it is and I would appreciate any help.

radrac003ha8.jpg

radrac003ha8.b36c0e80ba.jpg

post-1412-1219599657.jpg

That is a standard hard pack board, it could be used for radios, but is used for about anything that needed to be hauled on a back. You are missing the canvas webbing and straps. I happen to have a extra webbing and original strings that I am looking to get rid of if you are interested, PM me.

craig_pickrall

Unless you have a spare set of straps too then it probably isn't worth the trouble. It is missing all of the metal tie down brackets too. These packboards can still be found in great condition so it isn't worth restoring one unless the parts are almost free.

Do a search here on "pack board" and you should find several examples to go by.

Manchu Warrior

I appreciate the information and you are correct it is not worth restoring considering the fact a complete pack board just sold on ebay for $5.99.

Johan Willaert

I see you packboard still has two of the hooks riveted on the lower end... I could use two of those on a packboard which just lacks two...

Can we make a deal?

Thanks

Johan

Don't you hate it when you get stuff like this, can't use it, don't want it, isn't worth anything but just can't bring yourself to through it away?

Don't you hate it when you get stuff like this, can't use it, don't want it, isn't worth anything but just can't bring yourself to through it away?

I know that feeling!

Manchu Warrior
I see you packboard still has two of the hooks riveted on the lower end... I could use two of those on a packboard which just lacks two...

Can we make a deal?

Thanks

Johan

Johan, I will trade you one of your WLA's for the hooks, I have a thing for Flat Head Harley's. Just kidding, I am a Shovel Head man myself. And you can have the hooks. When I get a little spare time I will take them off and put them in a small box to see what the postage will be to Europe and I will get back to you. You do live in Europe, correct? By the way QEDA, are you reading my mind? Never mind I know many of you suffer from the same illness as I. thumbsup.gif

• 3 months later...