Women WWII Pilots Denied Final Rest at Arlington National Cemetery

cutiger83

Women WWII Pilots Denied Final Rest at Arlington National Cemetery

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/01/01/women-wwii-pilots-barred-from-arlington-national-cemetery.html

The ashes of World War II veteran Elaine Harmon are sitting in a closet in her daughter's home, where they will remain until they can go to what her family says is her rightful resting place: Arlington National Cemetery.

Granted veteran status in 1977, the WASPs have been eligible to have their ashes placed at Arlington with military honors since 2002. But earlier this year, then-Secretary of the Army John McHugh reversed course and ruled WASPs ineligible.

After Harmon died in April at age 95, her daughter, Terry Harmon, 69, of Silver Spring, Maryland, was dismayed to learn that the Army had moved to exclude WASPs. She said her mother had helped lead the effort to gain recognition for WASPs.

"These women have been fighting this battle, off and on, for over 50 years now," she said.

Harmon's family and others are working to overturn McHugh's directive. A petition on change.org has received more than 4,000 signatures. Harmon also hopes Congress will ask incoming Secretary of the Army Eric Fanning about the issue at his upcoming confirmation hearing.

WASPs "are a distinct group of women with the surviving 100-or-so women all in their 90s," she said. "It is just mean-spirited for the Secretary of the Army to question their value to their country. Again."

Harmon's family says the WASPs aren't asking for anything beyond what they earned: eligibility for placement of ashes. And they say the impact on cemetery capacity would be minimal, given that so few World War II veterans remain.

"These women have been fighting this battle, off and on, for over 50 years now," she said.

It is a real shame that these women who so valiantly served our country (38 of them lost their lives serving our country) are still having to fight for their rights.

US Merchant Mariners didn't receive vets. status until 1988 and they had the highest percentage of war dead of all services during WW2.

Wharf.

This is just plain wrong. They were certified as WWII veterans in 1977 and should be buried in the National Cemetery of their choice, My 2-cents. Bobgee

I may be a bit off on this, but I think Arlington has made many changes due to demand/space constraints over the years. According to the current guidelines there are many veterans who are ineligible, not just WASPs. Criteria include active status, retired status, awards, holding public office etc... Scott.

• 1 month later...

This is a tough one. I certainly acknowledge what this women did and her contribution to the war effort but I understand not allowing their burial. As ScottG stated above I think it comes down simply to Arlington running out of space. Would you give her a space over another who died in battle or was a MOH winner? Then your weighing and rating ones service over that of another. Personally I think any recipient of an action or honor medal ie; Silver Star, MOH or Purple Heart should be given priority. I think the practice of allowing politicians regardless of military service, burials at Arlington should cease. I think Arlington should be for Military personnel only.

Its also a bit scary if were running out of spaces to properly bury our honored soldiers. Whats that say about us?

Would you give her a space over another who died in battle or was a MOH winner? Then your weighing and rating ones service over that of another. Personally I think any recipient of an action or honor medal ie; Silver Star, MOH or Purple Heart should be given priority.

These statements of yours contradict each other. In the first sentence, you say that someone's service should not be rated over another but then you say people should be given priorities based on medals earned. There are MANY veterans who did MANY courageous things (men and women) who did not earn a medal for one reason or another. Why would they rate any less? In addition, 38 WASPS lost their lives serving our country. Should they be rated less than someone else who lost their life serving our country?

Also, these WASPS are asking to have their ashes interred which would have minimal impact on capacity.

As for running out of spaces, this is happening to a lot of cemeteries. Arlington recently celebrated 150 years of existence. Given how many soldiers were lost during the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, it is not surprising at all that it is filling up. The US is a relatively young country. It would be interesting to hear from some of our members from other countries. I am sure they also have cemetery issues.

...Kat

• 4 weeks later...
Infidelparatrooper

I may be a bit off on this, but I think Arlington has made many changes due to demand/space constraints over the years. According to the current guidelines there are many veterans who are ineligible, not just WASPs. Criteria include active status, retired status, awards, holding public office etc... Scott.

This is correct, any veteran that wishes to be buried in Arlington has to meet specific requirements.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Funerals/Scheduling-a-Funeral/Establishing-Eligibility

• 5 months later...

May she RIP. Thanks so much for her service and all of the other WASPS who served our country during WWII.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/07/492954680/female-wwii-pilot-is-finally-laid-to-rest-at-arlington-national-cemetery

Female WWII Pilot Is Finally Laid To Rest At Arlington National Cemetery

World War II pilot Elaine Harmon, who died last year at the age of 95, wanted to be laid to rest with her fellow veterans at Arlington National Cemetery.

And on Wednesday, Harmon's wish was fulfilled — thanks to a dedicated effort by her family and a law passed by Congress.