75th INF (Ranger) SSI

MilRGRHistory

MilRGRHistory

I have this OG-107 jungle jacket (marked 1969) with a unique embroidered 75th INF scroll and 75th INF SSI. I think the pathfinder badge is unique as it is the cut edge, full size, color version and worn on the pocket flap. This also came with an early black beret and flash. I have seems one early photos of members of the 75th INF (Ranger) wearing the 75th INF SSI under their scrolls in dress uniforms. I am thinking this is a member of 1st Ranger Battalion when they initially stood up in 74. Certainly immediately post Vietnam.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/fa813853b44be4f86f0219c5aae49735.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/8f724104da769a81d430f65db44197c1.jpg

I have this OG-107 jungle jacket (marked 1969) with a unique embroidered 75th INF scroll and 75th INF SSI. I think the pathfinder badge is unique as it is the cut edge, full size, color version and worn on the pocket flap. This also came with an early black beret and flash. I have seems one early photos of members of the 75th INF (Ranger) wearing the 75th INF SSI under their scrolls in dress uniforms. I am thinking this is a member of 1st Ranger Battalion when they initially stood up in 74. Certainly immediately post Vietnam.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/fa813853b44be4f86f0219c5aae49735.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/8f724104da769a81d430f65db44197c1.jpg

Here you go, I uploaded your images for you.

HH

post-108826-0-34712100-1452277244.jpg

post-108826-0-77932900-1452277256.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
MilRGRHistory

Here are my additional Ranger SSI. The first images are WWII Ranger and Merrill's Marauder's. The only piece here I suspect is not genuine is the Bullion Merrill's Type 1. Though it may be vintage, I certainly don't think it is WWII era.

post-153545-0-93454000-1454882459.jpeg post-153545-0-09432900-1454882459.jpeg

MilRGRHistory

Korea through 1980's. I am curious about the blue Ranger tab, the cut edge subdued 75th INF, the merrowed edge 75th INF and the cut edge 75th RGT patches...don't know much about these.

post-153545-0-32997400-1454882817.jpeg

The blue and gold RANGER tab is an ROTC tab.

In post #6, the battalion patches are all well post war.

Also in post #6, the bullion example is a Paki repop made in the 70s.

MilRGRHistory

The blue and gold RANGER tab is an ROTC tab.

In post #6, the battalion patches are all well post war.

Also in post #6, the bullion example is a Paki repop made in the 70s.

Great, thanks for the info on those. As for the BN scrolls, here are pics of the back, they also passed the burn test...what is the reason you think they are post war, I am certainly curious?

post-153545-0-96098400-1454889935.jpeg

Any name tape on the jungle jacket?

Seems like an odd combination and the colored patch looks off.To me it looks like a repro.The one on the tiger stripe item isnt original either from what I see.The tiger back round material looks rip stop which is basically commercial as well.

The scroll reminds me of the US made cut edge ones that came out around the time when the 3rd battalion was added and the 75th Regt.There were cut edge for 1st,2nd,3rd,and 75th Regt.They were not accepted from my understanding as they went to the merrowed edge.The manufacturers made them but were not accepted over the merrowed version from my understanding.I have several of the cut edge scrolls and they all came out of a patch box at a surplus store in Columbus Ga.

MilRGRHistory

Any name tape on the jungle jacket?

Seems like an odd combination and the colored patch looks off.To me it looks like a repro.The one on the tiger stripe item isnt original either from what I see.The tiger back round material looks rip stop which is basically commercial as well.

The scroll reminds me of the US made cut edge ones that came out around the time when the 3rd battalion was added and the 75th Regt.There were cut edge for 1st,2nd,3rd,and 75th Regt.They were not accepted from my understanding as they went to the merrowed edge.The manufacturers made them but were not accepted over the merrowed version from my understanding.I have several of the cut edge scrolls and they all came out of a patch box at a surplus store in Columbus Ga.

Cool, thanks for the info. The name tape on the jacket is "Young" and the patch does look odd, the edge is actually embroidered to the jacket. I think I am going to post the beret to the TS forum, wasn't there a riptop tiger that was late war?

Interesting about the cut edge scrolls, thanks for the insight on them!

MilRGRHistory

Here is one I picked up cheap on the off chance it was real. Came from a lot of several other US and what appeared to be theater made VN patches.

post-153545-0-01695800-1454891513.jpg post-153545-0-94270500-1454891513.jpg

Im not a big fan of it.Looks like the type of construction you wil encounter from the tourist trade from Viet Nam.

Im no expert but that little voice in my head is speaking to me.....no likey

There was this patch right, don't know anything on it. Smith seems to indicate it was worn, however briefly, in 1974 when the 75th Infantry was reactivated as a whole.

post-34986-0-84430100-1454906254.jpg

MilRGRHistory

There was this patch right, don't know anything on it. Smith seems to indicate it was worn, however briefly, in 1974 when the 75th Infantry was reactivated as a whole.

attachicon.gif75th Inf.jpg

That is the same style, yes. I too have the least knowledge about this patch and when exactly it was worn and for how long. I think I remember seeing a late 70s 1st BN yearbook with this being worn on the dress uniform below the scroll but can't recollect completely. I also saw the same patch with the back Ranger tab on a plaque given to a young enlisted plank holder (2/75 ?) but didn't ask him about the insignia at the time...also late 70s period plaque.

Great, thanks for the info on those. As for the BN scrolls, here are pics of the back, they also passed the burn test...what is the reason you think they are post war, I am certainly curious?

attachicon.gifWWII Ranger back compressed.jpeg

Your question has been answered multiple times here.

Basically, your lettering is too narrow, the black mediums are too large and the wrong material.

• 10 months later...
MilRGRHistory

US made variant KW era.

Thank you for the info. It is slightly shorter/fatter than the other KW era of similar type, it also has periods after INF. and CO. so I wasn't sure.

• 1 year later...