WWII Airborne Training Center Patches - Originals?

militbuff

As rare and beautifully executed as they are, I am somewhat surprised that an unauthorized insignia from a Training Center would demand a price similar to (or beyond) that of locally sourced insignia from elite combat units. Not challenging it just surprising to me as a novice.

Eric, I could not agree more. They are beautiful patches, but I'd step over these anytime to get a nice 551 or 504 pocket patch. To each his own....that's what makes the hobby interesting for everyone. Alex

• 1 month later...

I continue to find this topic (of value) interesting. The owner of the patches has offered them to every collector under the sun, they have been on eBay several times (I think one is down to 3500), they were offered at the SOS and no takers.

I am not one to challenge the powers that be but I just do not see $5K for an unauthorized patch from a training unit that was never used, regardless of how rare it is. They are beautifully made, the unit had an interesting history, I would not mind having an example and would probably jump at the right price point but (just my opinion) cannot see the asking price on these.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I was reading about these patches on Les Hughes site and was interested in what he wrote here:

A few years ago, about a half-dozen examples of a different jacket patch attributed to the Training Center surfaced in the hands of a dealer. The dealer claimed the patches were purchased when an estate was liquidated. Although the details of construction of these patches appear to be without fatal flaw, and the insignia accompanying one of the patches are those one would expect [2], the individual from whose estate these patches supposedly came has never been identified, and the patches provenance remains a mystery.

Does anyone have a pic of the design he is talking about? There is a reference to a Trading Post issue but I cannot find the issue.

Thanks.

vintageproductions

I sold one of these over 20 years ago to Dan Poppa / Venturepaper.

It was found in a army navy store, pinned to a cork board of patches.

He paid me $3500.00 for it then.

• 3 weeks later...