WWII Airborne Training Center Patches - Originals?

militbuff

I received an email today asking if I was interested in buying these two patches. I turned it down as I don't generally collect airborne but I'm curious if they're original or repros.

post-1945-0-85897700-1452266128.jpg

post-1945-0-19430800-1452266148.jpg

These are the same patches that 501stgeronimo posted. From the original consensus of others based upon the fronts of the patches: these were considered to be very real.

Now that we have images of the backs what are your thoughts? I have never handled any of these. My opinion is that they are still real and rare.

They sure look real to me, at least based on the front of the patches. I've never handled any of these either, although I recently sold the U.S. made "Boots" version on ebay. I don't think that counts! However, based on the emails I've been getting asking for the seller's info, I think a lot of others must think they're original as well. I imagine they're not cheap.

I was told by someone who contacted him that he wants $5k per patch.

Would you clarify that, I believe my ears can't hear what I see?

That seems to be the general consensus!

Since I've never seen these patches for sale, what's the normal price these patches go for?

The man is right on the money I sold one three years ago for that amount.A real one of these is almost as rare as a bullion 551 or a real without question 504th. Scotty

They are not mine but I have the version with the glider in mint condition and it will be for sale at the SOS for better price than mentioned. Mort

As rare and beautifully executed as they are, I am somewhat surprised that an unauthorized insignia from a Training Center would demand a price similar to (or beyond) that of locally sourced insignia from elite combat units. Not challenging it just surprising to me as a novice.

Garth Thompson

I saw them at the last TMCA military show in Franklin, TN, They are much, much better in person than in the photos.

I think it's also a question of who you're buying them from. Scotty can get top $ because of his decades of experience and integrity. I think that Scotty would also gladly buy them back and be able to sell them for the same price if the buyer suddenly needed the $.

A dealer or seller without Scotty's reputation and experience naturally wouldn't command as much trust or respect and thus wouldn't be able to sell the patches for as much $. Likewise, if a family emergency occurred and you needed the $, I doubt many dealers would be able to sell the patches as quickly and for as much $ as Scotty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Two-Airborne-Paratrooper-Bullion-Pocket-Patches-Set-Group-No-Glow-/231810180200?hash=item35f8f6a468:g:oogAAOSwZG9Wkyxa

You would think for all the money he pays to get auctions to end early that he could afford a nice scanner and take better photos of the 101st S2 insignia......

I think it's also a question of who you're buying them from. Scotty can get top $ because of his decades of experience and integrity. I think that Scotty would also gladly buy them back and be able to sell them for the same price if the buyer suddenly needed the $.

A dealer or seller without Scotty's reputation and experience naturally wouldn't command as much trust or respect and thus wouldn't be able to sell the patches for as much $. Likewise, if a family emergency occurred and you needed the $, I doubt many dealers would be able to sell the patches as quickly and for as much $ as Scotty.

This is why price to me is subjective...people quote high retail prices but if two people from seperate backrounds cant sell them for the same price even though both items are "text" book correct then whats the "real" price? Many of has decades of experiance and deal with buyers and sellers on all levels and dealers as well.