Helmet M1 Military Police

gianni59

I would like an opinion of the friends of the forum and of the experts on this my helmet USA M1 Military Police. The shell has is front seam et swivel bail, then surely WW war ", but I see no lot number.
On the front there are the classic letters MP surmounted by the symbol First Army.
The chinstrap has industrial stitching and brass bushings.
The liner is WW2, it was widely used because it has straps and skin of the headband quite dirty.
Outside the liner it is painted white, and the paint has partially sfogliata.
The liner chinstrap is painted white on the outside and has studs "United Carr".
The liner is manufactured by International Molden Plastic Inc. (IMP).
I thank in advance all those who dedicate themselves to the helmet a little of their time, best regards from Italy, Giovanni

post-161528-0-67362800-1452176454.jpg

post-161528-0-05724000-1452176458.jpg

All fake, you can plainly see earth tone was used for the artificial aging which has also been smudged on the reproduction chin straps. I'm also willing to bet the liner has been rewebbed, given how loose the webbing is.

GeneralCheese

I'm on the fence. As for the markings, better pictures are needed, but the chinstraps definitely do look fake, due to the J-hook being so tight. If it was worn even a few times with the hook closed, the J-hook halves would be angled outward, not perfectly parallel like that.

Just remember that the red and white First Army logo wasn't used until 1950 ( http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/455-1st-army/ ). And of course, a lot of gear made during WWII was used through the 1950s and 1960s. I'll leave the originality of the paint up to others with more experience on the matter.

Just remember that the red and white First Army logo wasn't used until 1950 ( http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/455-1st-army/ ). And of course, a lot of gear made during WWII was used through the 1950s and 1960s. I'll leave the originality of the paint up to others with more experience on the matter.

Theres another thread on here with debate on that. There was another MP helmet and WWII period pics with what looks to be the red markings.

I'm on the fence. As for the markings, better pictures are needed, but the chinstraps definitely do look fake, due to the J-hook being so tight. If it was worn even a few times with the hook closed, the J-hook halves would be angled outward, not perfectly parallel like that.

I see nothing wrong with the straps looks like normal 11 row weave. Just a little rough and beat up. Am I missing something here?

giovanni, like Mike & Jamie, I would not dismiss this as a fake so quickly. Better photos would be great, especially if you can get close ups at high res and resize them down with 300 or more pixels per inch. If you need help with that just pm me...

regards,

pat

TheGrayGhost

Just looking at the amount of verdigris that has built up around the A-washers, I doubt this has been re-webbed. I don't really see any red flags for this being a fake, it just looks like a well preserved example to me. But, as others have stated, better pics would help.

Theres another thread on here with debate on that. There was another MP helmet and WWII period pics with what looks to be the red markings.

Good to know! Thanks, I'll look it up.