353rd Large Sunflower Patch (89th Division WWI) SOLVED

July1, 1916-HLI17SB

July1, 1916-HLI17SB

Collectors have long questioned where "Patch King" came up with the large sunflower patch that was listed as being from the 89th Division. Look at the picture below. You will see a sunflower patch on the cap of one of the 89th's 353rd infantry members. He is to the viewers right and holding the hand of the girl. This photo was taken in 1919 outside a dance hall in Germany. I have seen this type of hand-made felt patch in 353rd groups, but never attached to anything....I therefore didn't know where they wore them. Now, I believe we know of at least one spot.

post-2792-0-32735400-1452047088.jpg

• 2 months later...
Jayhawker353

This patch, like many WWI variations of the "Rolling W" was made for the men of the 353rd in both Germany and France (Wounded Men) during the occupation months. Distinct differences can be noticed in the manufacture of either example. I also have sunflower patches that vary in size; the french tend to be a bit smaller and German made patches were often made significantly larger for overcoats. I have examples on uniforms, one on a coat, and loose ones. Especially interesting are those with intact white inserts for competition awards.

I have strong evidence to support my belief that only original "Kansas" members of the 353rd chose to wear the sunflower variation, while 353rd replacements (usually joined the Reg. at Bantheville) from ND, SD, NE, MO and CO often didn't.

As for the Patch King variation, my belief is they incorrectly used the example from Stein's book as a template (This has no background.) Or vice-versa.