NOS first pattern canteen set! Almost had it!

Username

I had my eyes on this canteen all week, but when I placed my bid my internet froze up and it never went through! So close! I figured I would share the pictures from the listing here for reference, I have never seen such a mint set! If any of you folks won it, I would love to see some more detailed pictures!

Only two pictures of the cover in the listing...

post-153820-0-10172000-1452045786.jpg

How much did it go for?

I missed out on this one too! Simply forgot to bid... It sold for $80 so someone got a heck of a deal, perfect mint early USMC set!

-Steven

Is that real? Any more pictures?

I can vouch for it, I own a few of these covers and all the material looks correct. In order to fake one of these you would need the correct fabric, binding tape, thread and webbing. Under the circumstance that it was found, I highly doubt this is a bogus cover. The seller did not seem to know the cover was rare and only included the two pictures, and the selling point of the listing was the enamel canteen.

Philipp Baughman

I too have doubts about the cover. My first thought was that it could be a cover made by HT&C reproductions. I have some of their repros at home (including a first pattern USMC cover like this - only I worked mine into rough used shape) and they made really good repros. With really little work their items look like the real deal except for the metal parts. But they don't smell like originals.

BTW did someone have any info what's happened to HT&C? I can't find their website anymore...

Hello gents,

I have to admit that I don't have a good feeling about this one ... the fabric seems too "new", even if it's near mint, this cover is still 75 years old and should be at least somewhat dusty and aged.

As already said, there's some well made repros on the market and the only way to be sure would be to have it in hand. Theoretically, being quite mint, this cover should have ink markings on the inside :huh:

Regards, E