What Odd Gun is this US General Shooting?

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

I'd love to know the who, the when and the why, but for now I'll just settle for the what. What the heck is General Whatchamacallit shooting here?

Regards,

Charlie

PS I have a second pic that goes along with this scene that I will post after we get an ID on this weapon.

US General shooting around the corner.jpg

Charlie Flick

Wow, you guys are good. Nothing gets past you guys. Yes, I think it is indeed a Stg44.

Here is the second pic I mentioned which should make the ID easier. These look like some Ordnance officers explaining another one of Hitler's secret weapons to the GO. Any ideas on when and where this event took place?

US General and his corner shooting gun.jpg

Charlie Flick

Excellent, Jake. Now I am really going to press my luck and ask what the heck the object is on the table in the foreground? Perhaps a periscope or other type of sighting device?

heres some more of the examinations

post-125364-0-42215600-1451945241.jpgpost-125364-0-91836800-1451945242.jpg

and a personal favorite taken around April of 1945 a sergeant in the Walther Factory in Zella-Mehlis looking at unfinished weapons

post-125364-0-25232400-1451945245.jpg

I thought they made curved barrels for Schmeissers too, but I can't find anything on it. IIRC, this contraption is mentioned in Donald Burgett's book Currahee.

bet you know who came back with some cool souvenirs. these guys were free to wander the factory and needless to say kept some stuff haha

post-125364-0-06960500-1451945673.gif

Charlie Flick

Jake, you are a fountain of knowledge on this event. Thanks for the ID and further information. Great stuff.

Looks like this stuff was packed to ship to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.

Charlie

I thought they made curved barrels for Schmeissers too, but I can't find anything on it. IIRC, this contraption is mentioned in Donald Burgett's book Currahee.

are you thinking of the american version?

post-125364-0-86170700-1451949074.jpgpost-125364-0-34578100-1451949076.jpg

Nest pics.

US made a few prototypes M3 SMG with Krummlauf. I was going to look for my pics but if you goggle you can see several.

what a coincidence lol. i believe some saw korea though.

phantomfixer

Aberdeen Proving Ground had the German design in their small arms museum...was nice to see one close up....the descrition said it was designed for use around tanks and such....

These are cool inventions in theory but I don't think they lasted long in practice. There was one sold a few months back at an auction that went for a pretty impressive price.

These are cool inventions in theory but I don't think they lasted long in practice. There was one sold a few months back at an auction that went for a pretty impressive price.

it's my understanding that while being a good idea in theory that they were actually quite effective against infantry from inside a tank. but not because they curved the bullet but because when the bullet hit the curve it shattered creating a shotgun effect which peppered anyone in the path. also eliminating the need to aim directly at whatever you were shooting at but just in the general direction.