Col.Robert"Bob"Murphy's Nam flight helmet

72psb

I just won an ebay auction for a camo taped helmet(P-26?)w/mbu-12 mask.The helmet is dymo taped to a "Col.Murphy".A quick search found an obit for Col. Robert "Bob"Murphy out of Arkansas. The Ebay seller is from Arkansas(same town).So I am hoping it is his helmet.

Other info leads me to believe he was a FAQ flying OV-2s. Obit states 3 tours in SEA.

I am no good at posting pictures,sorry. If anyone can shed a little more light on the colonel,I would be thankful.

Bob

The O-1 and O-2 FACs often didn't use helmets (mostly headsets but some flew APH-5) and I don't think they ever used oxygen masks. In any case, the MBU-12/P didn't become operational until the early 1980s. I would guess the helmet and mask are both from the early 1980s after Murphy transitioned into another aircraft. I think from his location he was SAC. I think he flew O-2s in Vietnam but can't confirm. You should be able to find out what he eventually flew though.

Thanks Bluespicker.I just spoke w/ the seller of the helmet.She has got a lot of his stuff.Academy year books,plaques,etc.I will know more in a while.Maybe I can learn how to post pictures in the mean time.

Bob

I was watching this auction, nice pickup Bob.

Here are some photos of it, taken from the eBay auction. Bob said it was okay for me to post them for him...

-Derek

post-5482-0-19568500-1452033485.jpg

post-5482-0-31207800-1452033498.jpg

post-5482-0-96175200-1452033521.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice HGU-26/P flight helmet and MBU-12/P oxygen mask. The additional two snaps on the sides are for the nuclear flash protective goggles used with the B-52, C-130, etc. aircraft. The gray MBU-12/P mask was introduced around 1986. The helmet is probably from the mid 1980s also. Hope this helps.

Northcoastaero,

Can you tell from the pictures if the visor is cut for the MBU-12/P or the MBU-5/P?

Trying to determine if they go together as a set or were just thrown together.

OOPS just noticed there is no shot to look at. I'll have to wait till I get it in hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received Col.Murphy's flight suit name patches,Two are the leather velcro style command wings and last name,one in OD,the other black. The last is an embroidered patch on velcro. It is a yellow field w/brown marrowed edge w/command pilot wings and a full color "Otto" dog from Beatle Baily. There are three stars and cresent moon above the dog and a setting sun w/FAC above it.His call sign SUNDOG 01.

Still waiting for more items.Try and post photos later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me, late 70's/early 80's shell !

F-4 era, Arkansas ANG !?! Camo tape is not very faded, form fit liner... MBU-12/P !!!

Clearly not a VN shell...