Seth Thomas USN Mark I Boat Clock

Charlie Flick

Guys:

I recently picked up this Seth Thomas Mark I Boat Clock. I am not really a maritime clock collector but have a pal who is. With a series of trades over the years I seem to have ended up with several Chelseas and Seth Thomas Navy clocks of various types. This particular clock came to me from another source, a Navy veteran. I already had a Seth Thomas Mark I Boat clock in the black bakelite case, so probably would not have bit on this one except that it was identified to a particular ship, the USS Cascade AD-16.

ST Boat Clock Mk I USS Cascade ed.jpg

This clock, according to the seller, came off of the Captain's gig. The Captain's gig is typically a small boat used by the Captain of a ship to go ashore or to visit other ships in an anchorage. It is usually maintained in fine condition. When not in use it is hoisted aboard. The photo below, an official USN photo, shows the USS Cascade in 1957. I am not certain but I believe that the Captains gig is the small boat seen in the water just aft of the bow.

USS Cascade 5-13-57 ed.jpg

The Cascade was commissioned in 1943 in San Francisco Bay. It served as a Destroyer Tender for the Pacific Fleet during WW2. Its role was to function as a forward supplier of maintenance and parts for a flotilla of destroyers. It had machine shops and skilled technicians aboard to allow destroyers to be repaired and returned to action without having to make the long return to Pearl Harbor or the West Coast. It served at Ulithi, Kwajalein and Eniwetok. It sailed to Okinawa and fought through the kamikaze attacks and typhoon earning a battle star. After the war it was decommissioned but returned to the Fleet in 1951 and served until it was decommissioned for good in 1974. It was scrapped in 1975.

When purchased this clock was not functioning. However, my clock buddy is able to work on these clocks to a certain extent and has the Navy maintenance manuals. My thought was that if I bought it maybe he could repair it for me. Indeed, that is exactly what happened and it turned out to be a simple (for him) fix. A single screw in the movement had come loose, fallen and become jammed in the mechanism. He got that fixed, lubricated it and it is now happily ticking away. He pointed out a couple of things to me as part of my continuing education on these things. The dial is 3 and 1/2 inches across so it is really a small but heavy clock. The dial face is dated 1941 and has the Naval Observatory marking on it as seen in the pic below with the movement out of the nickled brass or bronze case.

Seth Thomas Boat Clock face.jpg

Charlie Flick

My pal pointed out the date of 11-42 on the back of the movement. It is seen written vertically on the lower left side of the pic below. He indicated that it was not unusual for the dial face date to not exactly match the date on the movement on these wartime clocks.

Seth  Thomas Boat Clock back of movement ed.jpg

My pal also pointed out that this clock appears to have the original gasket in it. One can easily imagine how important it would be to have a tight seal against the elements and salt spray.

Seth Thomas Boat Clock Mk I open.jpg

The seller told me that he personally salvaged this clock from the Captain's gig. At the time he was stationed in Norfolk and coming to the end of a 23 year Navy career spent mostly in small craft. He was told that the Cascade was being decommissioned. He was given orders to run the Captain's gig over to a scrap yard, he told me. While doing so he noticed this clock affixed to the bulkhead and removed it. The gig was scrapped. He later mounted the clock on the wooden plaque and had the small brass tag placed below the clock identifying it as having come from the USS Cascade's Captain's gig. I have not cleaned it up so the clock and tag show some scuzz from hanging on the "second owner's" wall at his home for the past 40 years or so. The clock's key was secured to the clock by a zip tie since he could not wind it thinking the clock was busted. I have taken that off now.

20151219_151853_resized_1 ed (1).jpg

This Navy Mark I Boat clock is now ticking away and keeping good time. It has had an interesting service history and even "saw some action" aboard the Cascade. One reason that I really like this clock is that it is identified to a particular ship and one with a PTO history. Most such clocks available today have no known history attached to them.

Once I give it a gentle external cleaning it will find a new home in a place of honor in my home. And if I pick up any more of the Navy clocks I may have to start admitting that I really am collecting them rather than just accumulating them.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The other day I had the choice of helping my wife take down the Christmas tree or cleaning up the new clock. That clock really sparkles now, although my wife seemed to not understand the urgency of cleaning up the clock. I did not understand the urgency of getting the tree down. The history seemed to be getting mixed up with the hysteria. She has carefully explained the errors in my thought process (40 or 50 times) and I have now been re-educated.

Regards,

Charlie