packboard

Peter B

Hi,

I saw this plywood backboard at a museum, the difference with my backboard is the two foldable metal loops on top of the 2 corners and a quick release system on one suspender. is this usmc ? is this ww2 ?

Thanks, Peter.

The folding metal loops and quick detachable shoulder strap is a 1951 modification. A pack board can have an earlier date and still have the mods done to it.

Robin, where do i find the information about the modification ? is the a tm or a data sheet ? A friend of my just send me pictures of a usmc book written by Bruno Alberti and Laurent Pradier, Uniforms & Equipment 1941-45 and apparently the pack is pictured in it. (being original)

In 1945 the pack board was changed to include a non folding metal post on each of the two top corners. This metal post was there for the rifle sling to be looped around in order for the soldier to carry his weapon. That was changed in 1951 to a folding post made of a looped piece of heavy wire. At the same time the quick disconnect shoulder strap was ordered.

I friend of mine found this info at the National Archives while researching his book on the 10th Mountain and their equipment. Not everything is available on line yet. I'd be willing to bet that there is more information still hidden at the National Archives than there is out for us collectors to enjoy.

Hey Robin, My packboard has the quick release suspender, but still has the original non-folding posts on the two top corners. Could the 1951 modification have been done in stages??

Bob

Your friend, still working on the book, or is it already for sale ? I am very interested in the 10th mdv !! last December I bought an "self inflating" matrass (sort type, only upper body) I have never seen it before in Europe, are they available in the USA ?

Robin, Here is a picture of my plywood packboard. It came mint with rope, instructions and shelf. Dated 1-12-45. The shoulder straps look to be the same color.

Bob

post-299-0-60909400-1452005512.jpg

Here the same, I assume that when the book is complete the message will be posted here on usmforum!

Bob, that's a very nice packboard, I have never seen one like this fore sale, its now on "the wishing list"....

Peter.

• 1 month later...

What book are you guys refereeing to?

Apparently there is a serious collector that is writing a collectors guide on the subject 10th Mountain Division. Its a work in progress, but I do hope its out there soon !

josegarcia8578

Apparently there is a serious collector that is writing a collectors guide on the subject 10th Mountain Division. Its a work in progress, but I do hope its out there soon !

Yeah that would be awesome! I hope they post updates to keep us in the loop of when the book is coming out.

The book s all about mountain gear in WW2. It's been in the making for many years. It'll be great if he ever gets it done.