WWII USMC helmet with first pattern cover

nreed_94

Hey everyone,

Just picked up this helmet today, and wanted some opinions on it. For starters: I know that WWII USMC helmet covers DID NOT have the EGA on them, however everything about this cover leads me to believe it is original. Perhaps the EGA was applied during Korea, or by the original owner. It looks to be stenciled on, and not stamped on. The cover looks very nice. I believe it to be original to the helmet. There are some rust stains on it, that can also be seen on the steel pot. The infamous "pacman" doesn't look like any of the repros I've seen, and appears to be original.

Does anybody know of Marines adding the EGA by hand? I haven't seen definitive proof, but I don't want to rule it out as a possibility. I'm adding plenty of photos. If anybody would like more, just let me know. Thanks!

Looks good to me. EGA would be postwar applied.

Thanks! That's what I figured. For the price, I couldn't pass it up

Korean war stuff is so neglected by collectors, and thus fakers, the presence of an EGA on most covers tells me it is a real example.

But the stitching must always be checked as well.

Korean war stuff is so neglected by collectors, and thus fakers, the presence of an EGA on most covers tells me it is a real example.

But the stitching must always be checked as well.

I have never seen a photo of an EGA on a Korean War period helmet.

I'm just assuming the cover is original to the helmet, just based on the rust patterns that can be seen on both. The helmet (and liner) are very much WWII era. Front seam, swivel bail, nice sewn chinstraps. The liner even has the early style leather chinstrap with the green buckle.

If everything is an original set, which there is no telling if it is or not, this means the cover was made during WWII, regardless of the EGA debate. I'm sure without photo evidence we'll never know for sure.

I got the helmet for $320. Just based on the condition of the pot and liner, it was well worth it. Add an original cover to it, and it was a great deal.

The cover is good (WWII), but the EGA drags the value down somewhat as purists don't want a post-war emblem on a WWII cover. But it's just a fact that they were reused. I have several myself, but always tend towards the unmarked covers. I would assume the EGA was applied using a stencil - it seems like it would have been difficult to get such crisp coverage over the seam with a stamp, but I could be wrong.

There's different sizes?

Yes,

There are at least two different sizes seen stamped on the post WWII covers. The unmarked covers were made during WWII, but were stamped likely in the mid-1950's. There is a small stamp and a larger one. Yours is representative of the larger stamp.

I have never seen a photo of an EGA on a helmet cover in WWII or Korea. I still think that the EGA covers were Korea or later issue. I think this because these covers were phased out of use by the early 60's, and the only real time frame for their use would be Korea. I have looked through plenty of grainy black and white photos from the period with hopes of having the proof, but most of the time it is impossible to confirm with the image quality even if something looks to be there.

My guess is that these "first patterns" were military surplus from WWII, and then reissued for Korea and later. Some people have talked about the differences between stamped EGAs and stenciled EGAs. Mine most definitely looks like the stenciled type. Like many steel pots post-WWII, I imagine these were just altered surplus....just like those front seam M1s with light green paint that float around the market all the time.