Uncle is a true hero

Chas100

When I was growing up the Vietnam war was the war of my childhood. My Father was the eldest of 6 boys in his family. His youngest Brother was 7 years older than I and seemed more like a big brother than an Uncle. He joined the Marines before he graduated from High School and it wasn't long before he was sent to SE Asia. I can remember the audio tape recorders were becoming popular and myself and a few cousins couldn't wait to go to my Grandparents house almost every Friday after school so we could see if a new tape was received and to also record audio tapes to send.

After his year in Vietnam he came home and would never discuss anything that went on while he was there. About 10 years ago he started to open up a little to myself and a few of my cousins about some of his encounters while there. He also did an interview with one of the local newspapers.

post-158467-0-55906900-1451844298.jpg

In late 2014 my Uncle was not feeling well and after he had to be drug to see a DR he was sent to an Oncologist in Columbus. He was diagnosed with a form of cancer that was linked to soldiers that had been exposed to agent orange in Vietnam. He did the above interview a few months after he was diagnosed with Cancer. My Uncle, being the man that he was and the definition of a true Marine thought he would beat this and did not even retire until he was to sick to work anymore. He passed peacefully with friends and family by his side with hospice to try and keep him as comfortable as possible this past August.

It's hard to come to grips that you would make it through that or any other war and 45 years later it would come back to haunt you. I wanted to post his article in case there is anyone that by chance may have known him or served with him is his time in the military.