Show your tailor made Ike jackets

SARGE

Gentlemen,

The American soldier seems to have always pushed the limits of personal expression. US soldiers have been described as the most un-uniform group of soldiers to be found in military uniforms. Let's see some tailor made Ike jackets.

The regulation Ike jacket has several variations, all issued by the Quartermaster Corps and official variations. I have become interested in non-regulation tailor made examples of this uniform jacket. Please show your tailor made variations.

Here is one that is tailor made from a "Revised Service Coat, 1942" originally manufactured without the back pleats. This particular jacket has all machine sewn cloth insignia for an MP Sergeant with the 7th Service Command. Notice the cut of the tunic has been retained but the front buttons have been concealed with an oversewn strip of cloth from the now missing skirt.

MP_NCO_Serv_Ike.JPG

View of the back of the tailor made Ike jacket showing the new waistband and lack of a bi-swing back with pleats that indicate this was originally a wartime 1942 model Service Coat.

MP_NCO_Serv_Ike_back.JPG

View of the pockets showing the added pleats and the pocket flaps that were undoubtably made from skirt material that was removed from the coat. The Ruptured Duck is machine sewn above the new pocket flap.

MP_NCO_Serv_Ike_pocket.JPG

There is very high quality tailoring on this modified coat.

Closeup view of the shoulders showing the exposed buttons on the epaulets. The brass buttons were removed and replaced with Ike jacket style brown plastic buttons. The individual ribbons are original to the jacket.

craig_pickrall

This is a tailor made item for a 6th CAV man. The cuff are straight with no flap and button. Note the leather buttons like those used on tweed sport jackets. Both the shoulder sleeve insignis and the cloth DI's are embroidered on wool felt.

post-5-1170872721.jpg

post-5-1170872838.jpg

post-5-1170872748.jpg

CNY Militaria

Here is one made for a WWII 4th AAF Pilot. It appears to have been cut down from a regular 4 pocket officer's jacket, as evidenced by the gaberdine material, as well as the officer braids still present on the cuffs. Additionally, the buttons on front have been covered with a piece of gaberdine material to conceal them. The AAF patch is made of Bullion, and the left sleeve 4th AAF patch is embroidered on wool.

i_008.jpg

i_009.jpg

i_019.jpg

CNY Militaria

This next Ike also looks like a similar story as the 4th AAF one...Cut down and modified 4 pocket Officer Jacket. It retains the cuff braids, but this time the buttons were replaced with plastic ones, and left exposed.

ebay_045.jpg

ebay_047.jpg

ebay_075.jpg

Schottzie,

It looks like the three of us stepped all over each other in our eagerness to post these jackets. Perhaps as moderator of this forum you can straighten the posts out and get them in the proper order on this thread?

CNY Militaria

Sarges other photos-

Closeup view of the machine sewn early wool 7th Service Command patch and the wool Sergeant Stripes.

post_130_1170873083.jpg

Closeup view of the flat multi-piece screwback collar discs.

post_130_1170873163.jpg

Closeup view of the 7th Service Command MP cuffs, showing the added buttonable cuff.

post_130_1170873450.jpg

Closeup view of the waistband, showing the added adjustment tabs for the waist.

post_130_1170873522.jpg

Closeup view of the front of the waistband, showing the button, snap, and hook & eye closure. The waistband and the pocket flaps are lined in wool shirt material as can be seen in the photograph.

post_130_1170873639.jpg

Ricardo,

Yes, most certainly a tailor made Ike jacket. I would guess it is made from a Service Coat as it retains the open sleeve cuffs and buttoned pocket flaps. Your jacket seems to be patterned after the British version with a wide waistband that is buttoned toward the side.

Thanks to all for showing their tailor made Ike jackets so far. I really like the individuality of these tailored jackets. No two seem exactly the same.

Keep on showing them and pointing out the differences. thumbsup.gif

For reference, here is a standard wartime enlisted jacket showing the then standard 1944 pattern "Jacket, Field, wool, OD" known universally as the Ike Jacket.

Constabulary___7th_Ike.JPG

Also, for reference is a standard wartime officer jacket showing the then standard 1944 pattern "Jacket, Field, Wool, Serge, O.D. Officers" with sateen lining.

MP_Off_Ike.JPG

craig_pickrall

ksp45 I have tried to fix your post but can not. Check to be sure your pic doesn't exceed the 250 KB size allotment. After getting it below 250 KB please post it again and I will delete your old post.

Great jackets here thumbsup.gif
The ike jacket is one of my favorite piece of uniform.

This one was shown often but here it is again.

1st Lt's ike jacket cut down and tailor made in Italy.

DEAD LINK 2/2/15

doinworkinvans

Regards,
Stephan

Stephan,

A very nice tailor made Air Force Ike. I particularly like the bullion insignia. I seldom see Italian made occupation uniforms like this. Very nice quality and beautifully displayed!

Is is possible to see some of the details like the tailor label or bullion insignia?

Stephan,

A very nice tailor made Air Force Ike. I particularly like the bullion insignia. I seldom see Italian made occupation uniforms like this. Very nice quality and beautifully displayed!

Is is possible to see some of the details like the tailor label or bullion insignia?

Thanks Sarge,

Well there is no tailor lable inside. The officer's uniform label was just cut out an no tailor label sewn in.

But here is a close up of the wing.

and one of the patch

DEAD LINK 2/2/15

doinworkinvans

Regards,
Stephan

Here is one of my latest purchases. An absolutely stunning 8th AAF British tailored Ike with red lining. The pictures really don't do this finely tailored jacket any justice at all.

Charlie

post-117-1171169831.jpg

Stephan,

Your Italian made jacket has some outstanding bullion work on it. A very neat custom tailored variaton and thanks for showing the details.

Charlie,

Talk about AAC guys being flashy. I have never seen a red lining like this before and a Bond Street tailor no less. I guess that is why these particular tailors had the reputation for quality that they and the Saville Row folks had. The devil is in the details and that is why I have come to like these tailor made variations.