Can anyone ID this green, blue, and white bull patch?

jcsoup

More accurately, it was first the 5th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing. It the became the 5th Bomb Wing and this patch carried over for a bit until it was redesigned.

Randy

5thwingmarty

I believe this unit also evolved from the 5th Bomb Group after WWII. It has nothing to do with the WWII 5th Bomb Wing which was part of the 15th AF.

5th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing (Heavy): 1950-1955

5th Bombardment Wing (Heavy): 1955-1991

Thank's F-111, so when would you date this patch in the OP, it's flat edge, so 1960s?

Here's the patch they used later. It was approved in 1954 and includes the pre WW 2 approved 5th BG skull with bull incorporated above. The current version in use today has deleted the bull totally. Now just because it was approved in 54 does not mean it was worn then. I know the version pictured in my post here was used in the 60s for sure, but since bomb stuff isn't my area I couldn't say when exactly it started to be used. Hopefully someone here has a firm set of eras.

Randy

post-8832-0-32257600-1451860105.jpg

Here's the patch they used later. It was approved in 1954 and includes the pre WW 2 approved 5th BG skull with bull incorporated above. The current version in use today has deleted the bull totally. Now just because it was approved in 54 does not mean it was worn then. I know the version pictured in my post here was used in the 60s for sure, but since bomb stuff isn't my area I couldn't say when exactly it started to be used. Hopefully someone here has a firm set of eras.

Randy

Thank you