Silver Star (Bien Hoa Air Base, Vietnam, Nov. 1, 1964)

All Things Polar

All Things Polar

I spoke with a Robert Gabinski/Gabinsky today, who said he was with a USAF unit that came over from Japan to Bien Hoa Air Base, Vietnam, in 1964.

During an attack on the Bien Hoa Air Base on November 1 of that year, the gentleman said he pulled a burning magnesium flare off a large fuel storage tank, and was afterward awarded the Silver Star for his actions. He also mentioned he was recommended for the Medal of Honor, but this was downgraded.

Gabinski said the Silver Star was very rapidly approved, being awarded in a ceremony in 1964, and that he still has the handwritten citation.

Does anyone have any information confirming this award?

With thanks in advance,

Glenn

If anything, the action more than likely reflects something that would warrant the Airman's Medal. And, to state he was recommended for the Medal of Honor for this non-combat action is a little suspicious.

All Things Polar

Yes, I actually said to him that it seemed his actions merited an Airman's Medal, but then corrected myself, since they took place during an enemy attack on Bien Hoa; the gentleman acknowledged the same. I did, however, also think the MOH reference to be a little odd, particularly since he specifically mentioned the downgrade to a Silver Star.

I've written to Doug Sterner (Home of Heroes), as I note that his site (www.homeofheroes.com/verify/recipients_go.html) has a "Grabinsky, Robert, USA - Awarded: SS - Vietnam War" - but nothing more on this award. In addition there is the following notation:

"With regard to Silver Stars, we estimate the USMC and USCG listings to be at least 95% complete, but the listings for other branches of service are only about 70% complete. Absence of a name for a Silver Star should NOT be considered evidence that someone did NOT get the Silver Star, especially where USA/USAF/USN recipients are concerned."

The reason I became aware of all this in the first place was because the gentleman works at a local wholesale retail store, and his name badge features an enameled Silver Star pin, plus an enameled Vietnam Campaign Medal ribbon bar.

I know a local vet who is a Silver Star recipient from the 9th infantry and was also a LRRP.Hes not in the site.I saw his DD214 at our court house years ago and his medal is listed there.I eventually met him as. A co worker and he showed me his shadow box to include the Silver Star medal.

All Things Polar

A good example, thank you. A DD214 in this case would go a long way.

When I asked Gabinski if he had the citation for the Silver Star, I found it curious that he said he still has the handwritten citation. Surely an citation would have been typewritten, but he may have obtained a handwritten copy at some point?

I hope Doug Sterner takes an interest, and digs into this story.

It sounds like you doubt this “veteran’s story” and if you really want to do the right thing buy him, the public and service personal recognized for courage, you need to ask for more definitive proof such as a DD214 or some other documentation that shows he was awarded the SSM and served in Vietnam. I take this position for several reasons:

First, if he is is not genuine he is a dishonest person when all is said and done and/or he has some mental condition, I would not want to deal with either type of person in a business setting.

If he is a fake then he is living off of the laurels of better men and women who have often given their limbs or lives in an act of unselfish devotion for the preservation of their comrades or others. Many such service men/women’s actions have gone unrecognized so the real deals have a lot to live up to a lot when wearing any type of valor award and most true recipients of such awards recognize that and will tell you so.

If he is truly a remarkably brave person, someone to be admired for acts of gallantry in ever sense of the word he will not mind you asking for proof of said courage besides some handwritten piece of paper due to the number of brazen hucksters who try to live off the reputations of others feats of daring.

In fact if he is the real deal you may be able to helping him get the correct proof so his “valorous act” is not again challenged. If he balks at this you need to be emphatic about him not wearing either the enameled Silver Star pin nor the enameled Vietnam Campaign Medal ribbon bar and be prepared to go to the appropriate authorities and report him under the Stolen Valor Act.

Shown Here:
Public Law No: 113-12 (06/03/2013)

(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

Stolen Valor Act of 2013 - Amends the federal criminal code to rewrite provisions relating to fraudulent claims about military service to subject to a fine, imprisonment for not more than one year, or both an individual who, with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit, fraudulently holds himself or herself out to be a recipient of:

• a Congressional Medal of Honor,
  • a distinguished-service cross,
  • a Navy cross,
  • an Air Force cross,
  • a silver star,
  • a Purple Heart,
  • a Combat Infantryman's Badge,
  • a Combat Action Badge,
  • a Combat Medical Badge,
  • a Combat Action Ribbon,
  • a Combat Action Medal, or
  • any replacement or duplicate medal for such medal as authorized by law.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/258

Here is a link that showcase such frauds being exposed for the $&!#bags that they are http://www.stolenvalor.com/target.cfm?source=link&sort=order

To be up front with you and others, I know too many true heroes who are dead and buried due to their act of gallantry in combat trying to protect their comrades and other so I take this issue of wearing a pin of valor or service in a combat zone to take it lightly.

Respectfully,

John

CNY Militaria

I am going to take a different position here, which will probably be unpopular, but I feel needs to be said.

Why does he need to be vetted? Is he harming anyone or collecting any benefit if his stories are false? What if it turns out he is not a SS recipient? What if you seek out this information and he is a SS recipient--why does he have to prove it to people? We are now in an era where people literally CRUSADE against stolen valor, even in occasions when it isn't merited.

Case in point, I was the "victim" of such an incident this past summer where a simple disagreement (that had nothing to do with me being a veteran) ended up in my entire military record being called into question because "no veteran would think like that" based on my logic. My DD-214 was demanded by this individual to prove who I was....The fact of the matter is that I have nothing to prove to anyone with regard to my service, especially when I don't even talk about what I have done or medals I have earned. If I was wearing one of my medal lapel pins and some person asked to see my DD-214, I'd be offended no matter the reason.

There was another such case last year of a 1960's era Marine that was wearing a "fresh" dress uniform at a Veteran's Day event, publicly confronted and humiliated, and in the end he was everything he said he was when it came to military service.

The bottom line here is that the US Supreme Court ruled the Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional on its face as a violation of the First Amendment freedom of speech provisions (See US. V. Alvarez, 2012). The revised Stolen Valor Act of 2013 REQUIRES intent to gain some benefit or something of value by fraud in order to prosecute.

From what I am reading, simply wearing the enameled lapel pins does not meet this criteria. If you are going to follow up on this, I would be cautious so as to not humiliate him if he is a real recipient. Perhaps a good method would be to show genuine interest in his citation and ask to see it as you love reading valor citations and honoring such veterans.

I am all for true stolen valor cases being called out, but not at the risk of embarrassing or invading the privacy of real valor recipients/veterans.

Just my $.02.

Justin

All Things Polar

My approach to the gentleman was just that, Justin. I identified myself as a historian, gave him my business card, and in addition, told him I've researched medals and decorations for over 40 years.

I'm just trying to look at this case from all sides by gathering as much information as possible - keeping in mind that no one source should be treated as 100% accurate (for any number of reasons).

As I've previously written, I hope Doug Sterner takes an interest; perhaps he will be able to add one more name to his Silver Star roll?

The reason I became aware of all this in the first place was because the gentleman works at a local wholesale retail store, and his name badge features an enameled Silver Star pin, plus an enameled Vietnam Campaign Medal ribbon bar.

To me it seem that the above statement would indicate that the gentleman in question is potentially reaping some benefits from the wearing military pins.

If he has earned them all well in good but if he does not currently have the documentation then he should get documentation for his campaign medal and the SSM pin.

The proper approach to use is to be tactful and desecrate when talking to the individual about the awards he is displaying of his company identification in a public setting. If you thought that I meant to publicly embarrass the individual than you are incorrect and I apologize for the misunderstanding that my passion on the subject brought out. Nevertheless, he should be challenged to produce or get the documentation.

I know this type of counterfeit background has gone on forever, people portraying themselves to be something they are not. Many in our society have developed the mindset of “how does this really hurt anyone” but for me when it comes to wearing unearned military awards in our society I believe a stand has to be made. I have heard less than ½ of 1% of the US population have ever served in the armed forces and awards for heroism go to an even smaller portion of our population that are so recognized so again I think the individual should be challenged.

On the subject of DD214’s or proving your service, I believe that all veterans should be prepared to provide documentation of their service when they use their service to take public position that is or maybe controversial. We veterans owe it to the causes that we support so as not to allow lack of said documentation to distract from the event, person or public stance we wish to support.

As we have seen on this forum many veterans of WW2 had miniature documents made of their discharges to carry in their wallets for proof of service in the armed forces. Granted in this day and age of identity theft, one would have to blot out service numbers and other personal data but I think it would be a good idea to do so regardless of why one portrays their service in public.

Again, my remarks are meant to be respectful to all on this forum as well as the individual who claims to be a Vietnam Veteran who was recognized for his gallantry in combat. Who I hope really did what he says he did 55+ years ago.

John

Justin and John - I'd like to say that is refreshing in our society to see two opposite positions articulated in a professional, polite manner. The fine art of debate has been unfortunately replaced many times by the LOUDNESS of arguing. I commend you both.

As for my take on cases like this a lot can be learned by how the Veteran speaks about their experiences. Most military guys have pretty good BS meters. Knowing and listening to many real deal Vets it isn't hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. When I've run across the chaff both while on active duty and in retirement. I politely break contact and move on.

All Things Polar

Yes, a good, healthy discussion.

After I identified myself to the gentleman as a historian, gave him my business card, and told him I've researched medals and decorations for over 40 years, he appeared quite comfortable talking to me. He also fluidly explained his service and the circumstances of his Silver Star in a matter of fact manner. The citation came up when I offered to attempt to find his citation, in case he didn't already have it. This is when he stated that he still had the handwritten citation. One more thing, he said that it was the first Silver Star awarded to the USAF since the Korean War.