Marine Uniform Group 24th Marines Able Co,1st BN on Iwo Jima

Raidercollector

• 3 weeks later...
Raidercollector

Up Date

Just receive some more photos from the estate of James Chavers,And news paper clippings showing one of his war trophy's. The one photo is him after IWO at Camp Tarawa dressed up again as a Japanese soldier with sword in hand standing over another Marine bent down to be headed. Very interesting,Never seen anything like this before.

its unbelievable the amount of stuff I have been getting from this fine Marines Estate. Hope to get some more down the road.

Enjoy.

Nick

post-421-0-81127200-1454851233.jpg

post-421-0-68855300-1454851267.jpg

post-421-0-33042500-1454851313.jpg

Raidercollector

picture of a blown up block house. And one of his reunion Pictures getting ready to get on the Bus.He is in his Red sports Jacket.

post-421-0-70644200-1454851415.jpg

post-421-0-90674600-1454851438.jpg

Raidercollector

I did get tons of Iwo news paper clippings and some more magazines.They where just on Iwo. I guess he saved a lot of stuff over the years.

Nick

That is one great group. As always I can never understand how a family can part with those things. I'm sure some regret it as time goes by. Great interview also. It's always so sad to see those guys tear up so many years later when thinking about their fellow soldiers. That would happen with my dad on occasion so I stopped asking about the war. You want to hear about things but you see that those memories never really left them.

• 9 months later...

Hi Nick, I would like to talk with you about the items from your James D. Chavers collection. I hope to hear from you! I am writing for

the son James Martin Chavers from Charleston SC. Please reach out, I thank you in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon to everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself first by saying that while my family and I were surprised to see these items here, we were happy to see the posts of admiration towards my grandfather, and we greatly appreciate everyone's kind words.

I'm James Chavers' granddaughter. He passed in the summer of 2015. Shortly before passing, he begun to donate some of the items he'd held on to from his time in the service. The Japanese flag you referenced, for example, he donated to the National WWII Museum in New Orleans, along with a number of other items.

After my grandfather passed, we began going through his things, and aside from some sentiments and nic-nacs here and there that held very personal meaning to us, we decided he would have been happiest with his items on display in a museum instead of in my mom's attic. We thought we were honoring his wishes when we donated these items to a man name Gary Webb in Savannah, Georgia. He started a war museum of his own in our city's historic district. He told us that he didn't have anything from the Pacific from the WWII era, and that he would name an exhibit in my grandfather's honor if we donated the items to him. So we did. We donated these items in August 2015, and continued to donate a few extras here and there to contribute to the exhibit. From the timeline here, it appears that he only kept the items a few months before turning around and selling them.

Like I said, we were surprised to find these items here, but we don't hold any grudge against the buyer we created this post. We just wanted it clear that my granddaddy (as I called him) was a great man whom we loved dearly. We would have never donated these items if we thought the person we gave them to intended to make a profit for himself, and not display them to honor my granddaddy as he told us he would. We thought over it a lot, and thought we made a decision that would have made my granddaddy happy.

I do love and appreciate the kind things you all had to say about him. He truly was a great man- if only you knew.. if only I could express his greatness in a short blog post. We loved him so dearly and miss him everyday. Please enjoy some of the pictures from when I knew him best. I'm the baby he's holding in one of them.

post-164149-0-58131900-1482343611.jpgpost-164149-0-30667200-1482343612_thumb.jpgpost-164149-0-97293100-1482343612.jpgpost-164149-0-52684000-1482343960.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 12/21/2016 at 6:55 PM, TLeo said:

Nice of you to stop by and post some photos of your grandfather.

Thank you. I still miss him every day. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 12:38 PM, BryanJ said:

Remarkable!  Ansley, your Grandfather was a hero in every sense of the word.  

Thank you. He was an amazing person, and an amazing granddaddy. He’s the kindest person I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing, and I miss him every single day. He was invincible. I remember my mom and I going to visit him on his 80th birthday only to find him on the roof, pulling leaves out of the gutters. My mom was so pissed that he didn’t call her for help- but that just wasn’t his way, haha. He could-and did- do anything. I wish he was still here.