Marine Uniform Group 24th Marines Able Co,1st BN on Iwo Jima

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Here is a Great uniform group I have just acquired , Some of the group was on ebay,The rest I bought private from the seller. It seems the family or some one kept some of the items,Some where donated to a museum, He had brought back a Japanese rifle ,A Flag ,And a uniform, And Japanese money and pictures. I received some of the Japanese pictures,And copies of some of the others showing Japanese soldiers , Probably Navy. James Chavers was very active in the VFW, and National Guard Artillery. And he went to the 4th Division Reunions. Mr Chavers was with the 24th Marines 1st Bn,Able company on Iwo, He was never wounded. I will write some of his first day on IWO. James D, Chavers Jr, Had felt the shockwaves of bullets screaming six inches above his head.He watched as his friends were shot. He saw napalmed japanese bodies,and shivered in the cold and rain.Sixty-two years later,recalling the bravery of a friend named Christopher still makes Chavers cry. Chavers then 21, and the 4th Marine Division landed on the Island of Iwo Jima on Feb 19,1945.The Allies needed it for a base for fighter planes and Bombers attacking the japanese homeland one day,One Day,A replacement rifleman jioned the division straight from boot camp . Chavers talked with him for a few minutes , then the boy had to move out.He got a few yards before he was shot in the chest" Christopher ...., Chavers said,his voice breaking,"went after him. Christopher went out and rescued him,carried him on a stretcher.Chavers looked down,a pause meant to change the subject, but than resurrected the thought himself." Never forget it," he said."it was Dangerous , because they would shoot the stretcher bearers,medics.Chavers'group had landed on the beach and made it 200 or 300 yards inland. then they moved further down the beach and spent four days pinned down, targeted by japanese soldiers with rifles who were dug into caves on the island. They were shelled repeatedly by japanese artillery as they moved further off the beach into rougher terrain.Chavers and his fellow marines huddled behind rocks at night,not knowing whether japanese soldier were on the other side. The whole place was scary," he said.Then the rain would come and chavers and his buddies trembled in the 40-degree weather. One day,Chavers said,he was walking along a path.stopped for a moment and felt something quivering beneath his feet. He looked down. It was a half buried japanese soldier dying in the sand Still dedicated.Still,after everything the veterens to a man said they would do it again."I would like my family to know what i went through to make a better world" And i like them to understand that i was part of that,And I,m proud to have been part of it. and would do it again. James D. Chavers I have more interview,But will post later.

post-421-0-12137300-1451760956.jpg

post-421-0-67262800-1451761005.jpg

post-421-0-91607000-1451761028.jpg

Raidercollector

This is his P41 which is Named inside to him. I think is the one he is wearing in the picture. He is first one on the left

post-421-0-98022800-1451761168.jpg

post-421-0-90462300-1451761210.jpg

Raidercollector

He is picture here in the photo all the way to the left holding a Japanese Flag,Which he donated to a Museum,I wish I would have gotten that flag, Its picture a few times in Able company survivors on Iwo

post-421-0-23579700-1451761280.jpg

post-421-0-91316600-1451761301.jpg

Raidercollector

Here are some copies of photos he took off a another japanese navy soldier, He even tells how his rifle jamb first on the soldier and the second shot fired killing him. He found a Gernade in his hand a bullet in the chamber of his rifle, I think he wet his pants after that one,

post-421-0-22507600-1451761745.jpg

post-421-0-68585400-1451761758.jpg

Raidercollector

I have more items,just to much to photo graph at this time. Hope you all enjoy this group to a fine brave marine that made it back home being never wounded.I'm still trying to locate the rest of his stuff. But I did get quite a bit of his things he saved over all these years.

The cap below is a tanker cap for winter army,It is named to him and another guy. When he used it I do not know. But it is his.

post-421-0-66480800-1451761982.jpg

post-421-0-30544100-1451762003.jpg

Raidercollector

In the Picture of him holding the Flag that is the survivors of able company 24th marines 4th Division on Iwo , I think their were 66 marines left from 250 Marines

Nick, I'm only sorry that I didn't think to look you up when I was in Tulagi last year. You have a fantastic collection. Thank you for sharing it with us. Jack

ViewfinderGyrene

Oh I was watching this like a hawk but I was flat broke that week lol! So glad you got it Nick, it's way better than the few photos made it seem!

Wow, great grouping. I just actually watched Flags of our Fathers a couple nights ago.......reading and seeing some of this grouping makes me think of the Iwo scenes and how even through the movies how it was probably 100x more hellish than we could imagine. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Nick, fantastic grouping! Well done for getting the other items back together! Very interesting group to a brave individual. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Graham

Raidercollector

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I am waiting for his file,When I get it ,I will up date this post of this fine Marine.

Nick

Raidercollector

Well, I just received his file, Not much in their, But does state he was on Iwo with the 4th Marine Division 1st Bn ,Able Company

post-421-0-12364300-1452621221.jpg

post-421-0-33974200-1452621244.jpg

Raidercollector

Here is a interview with Mr Chavers about his Time on Iwo, Its Awesome, Even shows him in a Japanese Uniform he found and put on. One of his Buddies told him to take it off ,So he don,t get Shot,Also shows the flag he took off Iwo.So Cool to see this.

Watch the interview. The Picture is him in a Japanese Uniform with Rifle and Helmet

Nick

post-421-0-37394100-1452642981.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Here is a interview with Mr Chavers about his Time on Iwo, Its Awesome, Even shows him in a Japanese Uniform he found and put on. One of his Buddies told him to take it off ,So he don,t get Shot,Also shows the flag he took off Iwo.So Cool to see this.

Watch the interview. The Picture is him in a Japanese Uniform with Rifle and Helmet

Nick

I had seen this when I was following the group, excellent!