M1917 L.F. & C. Trench Knife

Ogstad

I just acquired a M1917 Trench Knife ( it walked into my store and did not leave) :)

I will post some pictures as soon as my batteries are recharged :)

Greg Robinson

I've always liked those Model of 1917 trench knives. There were two versions....one with the knobs on the guards as it was made by Landers Frary & Clark, and the ones with trianglular flanges. And two pommel versions, one seemingly welded in place and one has a piece screwed. And there's two nomemclatures for these: Model of 1917 and Model of 1918 and for years collectors have argued which was one or the other. I believe Oneida Limited made a few, a very few, of these and a contract was also issued to Henry Disstron and Sons but don't know that they ever produced any knives.

Unfortunately. these are many of them in existence missing scabbards and no point looking for on the loose examples to complete the set. Even right after WW1 scabbards were far fewer than knives.

Greg

post-4-1170879199.jpg

Carter said that the scabbards were poorly designed and did not last in the trenches.

I am thinking of buying a repro one from Praire Flower Leather for $75.00

Greg Robinson
Carter said that the scabbards were poorly designed and did not last in the trenches.

I am thinking of buying a repro one from Praire Flower Leather for $75.00

seems expensive for a repop until you realize that originals are in the "unobtainable" catagory". I wouldn't spend any time looking for an on the loose original. That's why during WW2.....60+ years ago....when they carried these they used alternate scabbards

Greg

I still got one that i got from Greg....Marine-Kabar...........this one has a tailor made leather scabbard....an obvious replacement but a very well made one.

Regards

Lloyd

The first one of these I bought was a WWII field modified version. Most of the knuckle guard was cut off, and it was in a replacement scabbard. The second one I obtained was in good and original condition.

2 M1908 German Made Brazilian Bayonets one with a scabbard

1 M1905E1 Spear Point with M7 Scabbard

No 4 Mk 1 Spike bayonet with scabbard and Frog

M1888 Lee Metford Bayonet

M1924 Belgium Long Bayonet for Export with Scabbard