Men were in the ARC also!

Brian Keith

J. T. Stockdale, WW II ARC European Theater

I picked this WW II Red Cross Grouping up at the 2012 SOS. I’ve been going through my hoard lately working on better documentation and identification and grabbed this to look at.

This is a US Army contract officer’s coat sold through the clothing exchange. It originally was a four pocket but has been tailored to be an “Ike” style coat. It features ARC buttons, an Army Engineer special brigade shoulder sleeve insignia on the upper right sleeve, ARC Military Welfare Service SSI on the upper left and five overseas bars. On the collar are the ARC and ARC Military Welfare insignia. I’m not sure what the ribbon is, it doesn’t seem to be a regular ARC ribbon.

Besides the uniform coat, it has one of his ID tags, an “American Red Cross Great Britain” button, cut out ARC insignis for the overseas cap and the regular ARC ETO ribbon. It also has a “Field Service Manual for the ARC in Great Britain, published in1944 with paper updates and documents. One of the interesting documents is the “CERTIFICATE” allowing him to bring back “1 German Sword”. I wonder where that got to. Another interesting document is a loan repayment letter from four men in the H & S Company of the 3051st Engineer Combat Battalion. The battalion had been formed in Aug of 1944 from the 531st Engineer Shore Regiment, who had served in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, moved to England then Normandy on D-Day. Note the uniform has the Engineer special brigade shoulder sleeve insignia

I couldn’t find any positive match on Find-a-Grave, but could possibly be Joseph Thomas "J T" Stockdale B. June 22, 1912, LA Calif., D June 12, 2005, San Diego, Calif. I would like to find more info about this guy.

I looked at it a couple of times and walked away, but finally pulled the trigger as it has some interesting things going for it. I suspect the vendor purchased it off e-pay to flip. It was more $ than I like to spend but I’m a cheapskate!

Photo is of Stockdale taken at “Jack Dempsey’s” Broadway Bar in NY. It is a $1 Souvenir Photo, no date is marked anywhere. Note he is wearing the ARC uniform. It is likely this is the same uniform prior to it being altered. Too bad it is such a poor pose and not very well focused.

Thanks for looking and for any information.

BKW

More photos to add.

post-1549-0-53804400-1451707677.jpgpost-1549-0-63739500-1451707730.jpg

post-1549-0-38312800-1451707691.jpg

The ribbon is a U.S. Army civilian award recognizing months of meritorious service.

In later years, this uniform would be a heather gray-blue shade with black insignia.

Thanks for the ribbon ID and the great comments Guys, Glad you enjoyed seeing it. Mr. Jerry, That is an excellent helmet!

BKW