WWII tanker helmet question

Yancy Irwin

i have a question about this tanker helmet i am considereing buying,is the strap on top of the helmet broken or is it suppose to be like that??also are the larger sizes worth more than the smaller ones?

post-3084-1219514721.jpg

If you mean the two straps that stand upright ..... they're to hold the earphones against your ears. They go over the "holes" on the sides where the earphones are put. Sometimes these straps were cut off.

Size 7 is a good size for the standard mannequin/display dummy heads.

As with everything; larger sizes usually go for a little more than smaller sizes.

The most common tanker helmet is Rawlings.

There are 4 - 5 other branches, you have a Wilson which was - next to Chicago Saddlery - also in Chicago, Illinois (as you can see on the marking).

Erwin

thanks Erwin,yes i was talking about the straps sticking up in the air,they looked funny the way he had them on their,i just wanted to make sure nothing was broken or missing before i buy it!

General Apathy

Hi Yancy, it's a very nice condition helmet from what's seen on the photographs, Erwin has answered your question for you on the ' straps ', so if you figure that it's a price your happy to pay, go get it.. thumbsup.gif

Just a word of CAUTION the two straps in the air if these are stiff at the rivit then twist them sideways very carefully as the rivit might pull through, if stiff it's generally better to grip the 'strap' either side of the rivit and rotate gently, don't just hold the strap and yank it.

Cheers ( Lewis )