Air crewman gear question

zoli

In the movie The Bridges at Toko-Ri, Earl Holliman plays the roll of the rescue helicopter crewman, would his title have been Rescue Swimmer back then? and also what type of boots would a crewman worn back in the Korean War? does anyone have a little bit of history on U.S Navy rescue crewman for that time period and type of gear they used? thanks for the assistance

More than likely, he was a flying crew chief.

I agree. I don't think there was such a thing in the Korean War as a Rescue Swimmer. I believe that term and job description came into use later.

thank you all for your help, so during the Korean war the air crewman would have preformed all rescues on land and sea if called upon. A few more questions I have,1. would he have worn a flight helmet like the pilots did?

Hi Zoli, The HU 1 Det or Unit aboard carriers during Korean ops was a two H5 (HO3S-1) aircraft det with 2 pilots and usually 6 aircrew qualified enlisted that did the maintenance and had flight status as aircrew. About uniforms, the aircew with flight status received the same equipment as pilots but this flight equipement was unit property.

Here is for exemple the HU 1 Det aboard USS Philippine Sea during 1951 52 cruise

post-1289-0-58763800-1451818595.jpg

The helmet was a H2 and the insulated flight suit a MK 3 with MK II life preserver

Best