Jeep door safety straps

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Hello & Happy new Year to all! I recently bought about a half dozen packages of what I believe to be Jeep door safety straps. They were all in unissued bundles sealed in heavy waxed paper. There appears to be different variations, most of the straps are made of khaki canvas, the rest are olive drab web & one in Navy blue. Most of them have C tips, just a few of the web straps have D tips. Some of them have an eyelet on one end and yet others do not. I was wondering if anyone could help me date them as I would imagine some are earlier than others. I will eventually get around to selling these straps and I would like to ID them properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Rob

post-168-0-63030500-1451662878.jpg

I'm not familiar with the folded and sewn straps.

Safety straps were used on Jeeps, and any open cab truck. Any markings on the wrappers?

Fixbayonets!

No markings on the wrappers that I can see. Here is a photo showing the different variations I have.

Thanks!

Rob

post-168-0-83982400-1451665713.jpg

I just measured the one's on my jeep. The Web strap folded as pictured should be about 28" long.

mine are like the ones third from the bottom...

you have a nice group of different manufactures.

just looked in my MVPA magazine repro's are $60. a pair

Fixbayonets!

I just measured the one's on my jeep. The Web strap folded as pictured should be about 28" long.

The web straps folded as shown measure about 24" - 25".

Fixbayonets!

mine are like the ones third from the bottom...

you have a nice group of different manufactures.

just looked in my MVPA magazine repro's are $60. a pair

That is great to know, thank you! Any idea on the khaki straps, top two in the photo?

Fixbayonets!

it would be intresting to read the labels, if there US contract or forigen mfg. post war...

I believe they are US contract, they were part of a lot of US field gear that was packed away since the mid 1960's. The gear in the lot dated from WWI - Korean War era.

Rob

Fixbayonets!

Are there any markings on the cast hooks?

As far as I can see most are unmarked. Some of the hooks on the khaki canvas straps have "SG" markings and I found one with an anchor marking.

Rob

post-168-0-28747100-1451676014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

During the war there were depots recycling scrap material to fix or make new equipment. It was cheaper and saved on materials. For example, old and used .50 cal cloth ammo belts not suitable for reloading were recycled and used as webbing straps for items such as Gerry can brackets.

These straps appear to be products of such an effort. Nice find!

During the war there were depots recycling scrap material to fix or make new equipment. It was cheaper and saved on materials. For example, old and used .50 cal cloth ammo belts not suitable for reloading were recycled and used as webbing straps for items such as Gerry can brackets.

These straps appear to be products of such an effort. Nice find!

Interesting, not something I thought of. Thanks!

Rob

The second strap from the bottom with the stamped steel clip is likely a late WWII jeep strap. It is just like the repro one I have on my 1945 jeep.

Marv