Ribbon Bar Question

gap

Is a clutch back ribbon rack with WW2 Victory and Bronze Star ribbon bars only legit? Wolf Brown style, plastic coated ribbons. I would expect there would be a campaign ribbon also? Where else would the GI earn the Bronze Star?

It is possible that this bar was just the top row of what the soldier earned, and rather than rearrange his ribbons, he simply stuck either the Bronze Star, Victory, or both at the top as he was being discharged.

Kyle

I wouldn't dismiss it. As GIKyle said, could be from discharge. I think its commonplace for WW2 bars to be incomplete or odd because people were discharged before they got all their awards or never wore them so didn't arrange them.

Two things- first, the Bronze Star historically has had to be earned in a combat zone, though I recall that the USAF awarded Bronze Stars to ground crewmen at Richards Gebauer AFB for their work in support of Operation Desert Storm.

It is absolutely possible for the BS/ WWII Victory ribbon pair to legitimately exist, but there would have to be a missing ribbon bar. The WWII Victory medal was awarded for service ending in 1946, so it is possible that a soldier enlisted in 1946 and then earned a Bronze Star in Korea.

Allan

I'm leaning towards it being the top bar in a two bar rack. The bottom one would probably have a Good Conduct or American Defense, American theater, and ETO or AP ribbons. Makes perfect sense if he was awarded the Bronze Star a few months after the action occurred and rather than rearrange all the ribbons, he just made a new two-ribbon bar and tacked it on top before going home.

It is possible that this bar was just the top row of what the soldier earned, and rather than rearrange his ribbons, he simply stuck either the Bronze Star, Victory, or both at the top as he was being discharged.

Kyle

Agree, often seen.

Wharf