WWI Victory Medal case? from the "Victory Medal Co., Buffalo NY"

MMcollector

I purchased this cased WWI victory medal on eBay. I have never seen a case for a victory medal and figured the medal was added to a random case unitl I saw it says "The Victory Medal Case Co. Buffalo N.Y." Is this a rare cases example or fantasy?

post-134470-0-55435700-1451525972.jpg

post-134470-0-72824800-1451525992.jpg

An entrepreneur figured out that GIs would want better ways to keep their Victory Medal than in the small cardboard boxes they were issued with. This one is big enough to hold anything from a no-bar to a 7-bar medal. I don't recall ever seeing one before, but it looks like an item that many GIs would want. Maybe the Victory Medal Case Company just never was able to figure out how get the mass-marketing concept to work for them. By the time the Victory Medal was issued, the GIs were home and back in their normal lives, so the medal went into the sock drawer without much further thought.

I collect Victory medals for about ten years now. This is the first time i see such a case. It looks good, but i doubt a lot exist.

Regards

Herman

I wrote the book on the Victory Medal and I have never seen this box. I also have to ask why would a company name itself with the name "The Victory Medal Case Co?" I am thinking this item was made for the WWI Reenactment groups

Shakethetrees

I've collected Victory Medals since 1967 and have never see one like this. It doesn't have any apparent age or wear and tear.

Is the ribbon original or a replacement using original period ribbon that was readily available until recently?

Sorry, but I'm a sceptic.