Springfield 1903

mr-tone

Hi all,

I was just wondering if the M1903A3 variant could/would have also accepted the 8x Unertl scope? I've seen pictures of the M1903A1 with the scope attached but not the A3.

Thank you

Tony

I would say yes.All a matter of how you have the blocks mounted a then a modified bolt hande to clear the scope.The front handguard would have to be mortised out for the block and maybe planed with a flat spot.I have a 1925 Special Target rifle(1903) with mounts and scope.Even checks out on the list.Looks like a Marine type sniper but was done this configuration by a target shooter.

warcollect1942

The 1903 A3 would not have a Unertl scope. The 1903 A4 would have a lyman scope.

The 1903 A1 would have a Unertl like Doyler shows.

I believe your question whas if the rifle could accept the scope?. I have seen recently many people doing the old military rifle shoots and have adapted all types of scopes and even reproduction scopes of military models to various 03 s over the years I believe it could be placed on the 03 a4 if you want it for a shooter but poor. But for original period correct the Unertl it would not be used.

Many are getting the Gibbs rifle now and adding or up gradi ng a scope to something else.

I have a 03-4 with a M84 scope on it.I have owned it since around 1990.The previous owner was the one who bought it through a govt sale.Not correct in the purists view but thats how it came out of govt sales.

I have a freind that had one put on an 03a3, he got the scope with the orig. case at a yard sale years ago for $50.00, I think he soiled himself when I told him what they are selling for now!

Thanks for the info,

Couple more questions if you'd be kind enough,

I'm looking at purchasing an A1 and would like to eventually have the Unertl scope for the top. Firstly, I know relatively little about rifles and would be buying a deactivated one (in the UK). How hard are they to mount?

Secondly, on the war time dated Unertl scopes, are the only ones which were used in the war the ones with 'usmc sniper'? Or can you get 'standard' ones which would also have been used?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge/terminology used

Regards

Tony

Thanks for the info,

Couple more questions if you'd be kind enough,

I'm looking at purchasing an A1 and would like to eventually have the Unertl scope for the top. Firstly, I know relatively little about rifles and would be buying a deactivated one (in the UK). How hard are they to mount?

Secondly, on the war time dated Unertl scopes, are the only ones which were used in the war the ones with 'usmc sniper'? Or can you get 'standard' ones which would also have been used?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge/terminology used

Regards

Tony

They are not super hard to mount. All they basically are is a 1903 with two blocks drilled and tapped and mounted, and a handguard scalloped. The original blocks were Unertl O & E blocks. But Steve Earle makes a repo set you can buy. There are two holes drilled in the receiver, and two holes drilled in the barrel at a distance of 7.2 inches. Any competent gunsmith could add them. The handguard is just cut sort of a flat top cut, leaving only the rear untouched. And a square hole added for the block. The original Marine Unertl rifles were basically just a NM team rifle or a rebuilt NM rifle with a blued polished bolt and the scope and blocks added.

The original Marine Unertl scopes are 1 1/4 target scopes that are a fuzz different than the commercial 1 1/4. They had a extended sunshade to protect the front lens. They are actually 7.8X, but referred to as 8X. They are about 24'' long and are serial numbered 1000 to around the high 2700 range. No one knows the exact serial number of the last scope made. You can buy some commercials that are close. Namely the 1'' Unertl targets in 6X or 10X. Those aren't terrible, maybe $700 to $800. The 8X commercial's run high, up to 2k. A real USMC Unertl will set you back about 4k plus.