Fake Theater made patches

heady506th

I'm retired, but thanks for asking, some day you'll join the ranks of us retirees fighting over the last box of fruit loops at the commissary.

Jeb: I don't think the fight is over fruit loops, the fight tends to be over high fiber cereals ;)

Jeb: I don't think the fight is over fruit loops, the fight tends to be over high fiber cereals ;)

Dirk,

I stand corrected, I just hate to admit I need all the fiber these days, makes me feel old.

:)

Jeb

Guest dustrider225

I DON'T KNOW MOST OF YOU ARE ON HERE BUT DAVID BRACKETT IS SELLING THEATER MADE PATCHES FROM IRAQ AND I KNOW THIS AS I AM A RETIRED SFC THAT HAS SERVED WITH HIM AND STILL LIVING JUST OUT SIDE FORT CAMPBELL KY. DAVID BRACKET IS CURRENTLY IN BAGDAD SERVING HIS SECOND TOUR IN THE COUNTRY. ALL OF THE PATCHES THAT HE IS SELLING ARE MADE BY HODGIE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION TO THIS FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT DUSTRIDER225@YAHOO.COM

GLEN PEDERSON

RETIRED SFC

101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION :rolleyes:

william kennington

I have purchased a few patches from david, I am watching the mail box now for some.

I was very pleased with the patches, if it is 5.00 or 50.00 as long as your are happy with what you get,what is the problem?

I have bought patches from a lot of people who were patch experts only to find out from some of thier close friends

that they were bad. of course this is after they get teed off at one another.

I have bought patches that came iraq for 2.00 up to 50.00.

THANK YOU DAVID AND OTHERS WHO SERVED OUR COUNTRY.

THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN PATCHES.

I collect w.w.II, viet-nam, and now these, I think they will go up in price just like the rest.

look at the price of a real wwII 101st

I signed up for the patches... right now I'm just walking the beat in Baghdad to save money for the patches. I'll stick with what I know having been at Buehring, Taji, and hopefully VBC next week. I have gotten patches from those locations. I got them because I needed them, and to keep as a momento I suppose. David has the ability and drive to make a buck providing something that not every collector can get. Sure its easy to say they can request to come here but Sparky has already done his time while the life path for Rich and Paul took them somewhere else than Iraq. As a result, they are willing to pay extra, from a trusted source to them, for a piece of 101st History. It's comparable to someone finding a great grouping at a garage sale. Should they only sell it for a small amount over they paid or take advantage of the demand to fund their own collecting interest? They put in the work to get the item, they get the reward... Wondeful capitalism. And yes, there is provenance here. How many other threads do people salivate over a grouping where the items they have the vet is wearing in a photo, etc etc. I can tell you its a lot. We should be thankful someone is documenting these patches with firsthand knowledge. As has been said: If you dont like the price, don't buy.

Back to the patches. The first Eagles I got in Kuwait there was a Kuwaiti dude running the shop. He had extras so I didn't watch him make them. He had a couple sewing machines but thats all. Frankly, I didn't care. Taji was a different story. I wear the Ranger Tab. With ACUs, the tab by itself falls off... all the time when you dont your gear. Someone was smart enough to remove the velcro from their eagle patch, airborne tab, and ranger tab and sew them all to one piece of velcro, making it harder to lose them. I requested the Filipino workers at Taji to do the same. They did not have Ranger Tabs to do it so I left my US-made 3 piece example and said do the best you can. Came back a day later and it turns out I got a one of a kind patch with a different Eagle than their 'off the wall' version, and the airborne/ ranger tabs were actually one big tab. These cotton patches dont hold up well so my last trip there I asked for a couple more to be made, giving them the one they had previously made as an example. As you can see they came pretty darn close, but not perfect. Oh, and if you are still not a believer these patches were made in Iraq by Filipinos, take my company patch at the top. Had 4 of those made along with my two eagle patches with a turnaround of less than 36 hours. If they were able to make and ship those from the far east in that amount of time... my hats off to them.

post-537-1221688529.jpgpost-537-1221688557.jpg

Kyle my brother in arms from the 502nd nice patches....pick me up one and I will trade you a different one or two when we get out of here. I don't have one of those type yet. Any chance you can get me one of those company patches as well?

David

I appreciate the picture, but I have one too. The difference is that I didn't use mine to sell patches. The shop on base made patches from $7-$12. They made any patch you needed, and many Army units had them done. That, in my book, makes the term "Theater made" an extremely subjective matter. I could of have had a ton of 101st patches made that would of been legit considering 101st personnel moved through my location and some stayed for a time awaiting transportation. Examples from orders were plainly displayed. Please don't think that your 101st patches are the sole legit ones made. That all said, I sincerely appreciate your service.

-Ski

SKI the reason I posted this picture is everything on it is theater made right down to the nametapes rank etc and to give a little background on how long I have been with the 101st. I am sorry you think I am trying to call you out not the case. What makes my case special is indeed that I and a few other you see here are in the 101st and have been only getting the patches at the location we are at and that the soliders here wear that are theater made. Yes you could get one made at whatever Air base you would be stationed at but the fact remains that it is not coming from a guy in the 101st and probably would not be a type worn by a member of the 101st. I appreciate your service as well and I hope all in this forum understand I am not trying to be elitist here or talk down to anyone. I am just stating facts and hoping to give those out there with a collecting interest in real 101st items a chance to get one without doubting its authenticity. I will leave here in about a month and will PCS away from my beloved division ( got my orders this week) so this buisness I am being accused of running will stop cold in about a month.

David

SKI the reason I posted this picture is everything on it is theater made right down to the nametapes rank etc and to give a little background on how long I have been with the 101st. I am sorry you think I am trying to call you out not the case. What makes my case special is indeed that I and a few other you see here are in the 101st and have been only getting the patches at the location we are at and that the soliders here wear that are theater made. Yes you could get one made at whatever Air base you would be stationed at but the fact remains that it is not coming from a guy in the 101st and probably would not be a type worn by a member of the 101st. I appreciate your service as well and I hope all in this forum understand I am not trying to be elitist here or talk down to anyone. I am just stating facts and hoping to give those out there with a collecting interest in real 101st items a chance to get one without doubting its authenticity. I will leave here in about a month and will PCS away from my belvoed division ( got my orders this week) so this buisness I am being accused of running will stop cold in about a month.

David

Dave,

Thanks for the clarification and I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding. You are trully a straight shooter! Looking forward to your posts from home! thumbsup.gif

-Ski

Baker502 wrote:

"I bet if you look at old ASMIC books from Vietnam, there were soldiers making patches and selling them from in country."

Oh yes, most definitely.

It started even during the early Advisory period. Below are sale/ trade items offered by a US Army Captain that was serving in the early years. Most of these were printed or silk woven, and most collectors had no idea of what they were other than the unit designations and descriptions included on the sales lists. And because of that, they really did not bring a very high asking price during the time period. (Of course, the good captain was paying about 4 cents each for printed patches, so at 35 cents he was making a pretty good profit!)

Go forward a few years, and there were a number of long time ASMIC collectors who got the idea of buying up extra patches at the tailor shops and sending them home. This eventually escalated in having the patches made as an additional order anytime a new design came into the shop. There are also cases of where a patch was worn on the far side of the country, but if the patch design was shown in a newspaper, it was sent to the shop in Saigon for production as a "collector's copy." Eventually this produced sales lists with hundreds of patches listed.

Now just to be clear, this is a historic perspective. I am in no way suggesting that anybody is doing this today. Buying patches that are in stock in a shop, and made for soldiers to actually use and wear is a lot different than outright manufacturing them by the dozens.

Ironically, many of the "authentic" Vietnam era patches, handmade and treasured by collectors, are actually these collector's copies. Many were made in the exact same shop where the unit issued patches were made, and they are often impossible to tell apart. And they bring the same market prices as known originals.

Another irony is that while we may decry "collector's copies" from that period, I believe that many of these designs would have disappeared forever if they had not been replicated. In an odd way, the copies preserved historical record of the patches.

I would agree that the time to document the patches coming from the current conflict is now. We've spent years trying to sort out the patches from Vietnam because few people kept any kind of notes as to their origins. There is a lot of good information that has come up on this forum and at some point I hope someone pulls it all together.

Sales_List_2_b.JPG

Sales_List_2_b1.JPG

• 1 month later...

Very nice Gil, hopefully in about a weeke and a half I will post more pics on here but this time from my house in the US... I got 7 days left here till I fly out of Iraq...YIPPEE!!!!

Once home I will post my helmet collection and show some of my other rare birds off!!

David

Very nice Gil, hopefully in about a weeke and a half I will post more pics on here but this time from my house in the US... I got 7 days left here till I fly out of Iraq...YIPPEE!!!!

Once home I will post my helmet collection and show some of my other rare birds off!!

David

Can't wait to see your helmets and rare birds. I'm close in line behind you, I've got 26 days left before I'm schedule leave country.

Can't wait to see your helmets and rare birds. I'm close in line behind you, I've got 26 days left before I'm schedule leave country.

19 and a wakeup!

• 1 month later...
Unfourtunately these are being sold as theater made as well. (Warning Pakistan is not our theater though someone will argue with me on this one guranteed)!!!! We are in IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, KUWAIT, and QUATAR. These are claiming Turkish roots (thought their Pakistani) I have been in the 101st since 1996....."news flash" and the 101st has never been to Turkey! Nor to my knowledge is there any Army personnel in Turkey. Haven't seen these worn by anyone in the Division strange.......None of these have been worn by the 101st!!!!....!!!! I have seen these shown as examples of what is offered from Pakistan!!!! Save your money get a real one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/101st-Abn-Army-Patch-T...oQQcmdZViewItem

Never say never! To set the record straight, the 101st was in Turkey. Check out this snippet from the 40th Public Affairs Detachment out of CAMP DOHA, Kuwait, Jan. 16, 2004

Roughly 20,000 soldiers with or attached to the 101st Airborne Division are scheduled to be sent home by early March. Approximately 4,000 “Screaming Eagles” who aren’t essential to the redeployment of equipment through Kuwait will fly directly back to the United States from Iraq, with a stop in Incirlik, Turkey.

Also there's nothing to stop another enterprising IA, Soldier or Airman (stationed at Incirlik) from doing the same thing you're doing. Heck, I even had a few 101st patches made in Qatar when I was there in early 2002.