pre-WWI US Army recruiting poster

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

I never set out to collect military related posters but I find them interesting and often they reflect much more than simply 'buy bonds' or 'join now'. My Christmas present from Mrs. Lipps this year, andvery much a surprise, was this great framed large poster from the pre-WWI era. By artist Michael P. Whelan, it is an attractive chromolithograph depicting a mounted Cavalry bugler and a standing Infantry officer. The soldier's were the attractive pre-WWI blue uniform and are adorned with campaign medals. It is proudly displayed in my home! Thanks Gale!

Sorry for the lousy cell phone photo!

post-93-0-44526200-1451339165.jpg

Very nice poster, WTC! I have it's twin, although it's a bit faded and the bottom has been cropped.

Your's is a much better example! And kudos to your wife on a great choice.

post-29885-0-21008600-1451339946.jpg

Very nice poster! This is a rather tough one to find in good condition and yes I believe it is pre ww1 most likely 1900-ww1 time frame IMO. I've accumulated several posters over the past couple years and find them very interesting and intriguing, somewhat outta the mainstream collecting and widely overlooked, when you think about it how many of these really have survived being virtually all are printed on newspaper thin paper and are quite prone to damage and decay if not stored properly.

Fritz

wartimecollectables.com

On another note I like the ww1 and earlier posters, more colorful and just cooler looking.

Fritz

Great to see others interested in these as well! Yes, I agree the earlier posters are the best! Here's another of mine. From 1917, it's a bit larger even than the Army poster with great color, by Howard Chandler Christie.

post-93-0-78558000-1451860429.jpg

Love the poster, dates from 1908-1910 according to my books. I collect (and buy & sell to pay for the habit)WWI posters. Hard to find these without the bottom being trimmed , where it says Apply at. I have several that actually have the addresses printed, which are very hard to find! Thanks for sharing!

wartimecollectables.com

Love the poster, dates from 1908-1910 according to my books. I collect (and buy & sell to pay for the habit)WWI posters. Hard to find these without the bottom being trimmed , where it says Apply at. I have several that actually have the addresses printed, which are very hard to find! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the note about the 'apply at', interesting. I'd dated this one to the later part of those years as they are wearing campaign medals that didn't come out until 1909.