Two GI's, a jeep, and some breakfast

Championhilz

Championhilz

Here's a neat little image I just picked up of two soldiers having breakfast on the hood of their jeep somewhere in Europe. It may be just after WW II as the photo has some German words stamped in red on the back. It is very faint, but I can make out the words "Kilbinger," and "Seltersweg."

post-274-1219468715.jpg

Johan Willaert
It may be just after WW II as the photo has some German words stamped in red on the back.

It is for sure post WW2 as that Jeep is the M38 Model which was made in the late 40's...

You have good eyes Johan, that certainly is a M-38. They were made from 1950 to 1952. In 1953 the M-38A1's were adopted which had a rounded lip on the front of the fender.

The easiest way to tell the difference between a WWII military jeep and the later M-38 is that the WWII MB or GPW jeeps had recessed headlights. This was because they could be turned on and rotated backwards by hand, in order to work on the engine when no light was available. Otherwise the differences are fairly difficult to discern.

I wonder why its sporting a "field modification" in the form of an anti-decapitation bar on the bumper? It would be interesting to find out.

I wonder why its sporting a "field modification" in the form of an anti-decapitation bar on the bumper? It would be interesting to find out.

Indeed. My first thought was that it's a re-enactment picture. Looking at the size of the pciture I looks like a part of it has been cut off.

Here's a neat little image I just picked up of two soldiers having breakfast on the hood of their jeep somewhere in Europe. It may be just after WW II as the photo has some German words stamped in red on the back. It is very faint, but I can make out the words "Kilbinger," and "Seltersweg."

jeep.jpg

Don`t know if this is of interest for you. Kilbinger is a German last name Seltersweg is a streetname that makes me belive it's somewhere in Hessen (German state). Maybe name and part of the location of the photo studio.

Lars

Championhilz

Lars,

Thanks for the information - I think you are right about Kilbinger being a last name, after looking at the photo again under a magnifying glass, I can make out a very faint first name and the middle initial W. The last name Kilbinger is followed by the word NACH. Before the word Seltersweg their is another faint word that might be Gladon or Gladen.

Maybe NACH. means "Nachfahren" descendents, often used after the last Name at this time. Could not yet find any hint for "Gladen". I believe Johan could be right with his guess Gießen?

Lars