Time Frame Gold Wash Submarine Badge

Chief D

I recently purchased these dolphins and looking for a time frame. They are gold colored (antique gold). There are no marks on the back. It is a clutch back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Front

post-160642-0-15135800-1451321311.jpg

Hi Chief,

The obverse detail on these dolphins is pretty poor and I can see issues on the edges in places (?casting seam, maybe some flashing). I do not think these are original.

I've attached an obverse scan of an original WW2 vintage set of H-H dolphins for comparison.

Regards

Mike

post-11042-0-44072300-1451344665.jpg

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. At first thought (and still a thought) was these dolphins someone had made. Here is were someone can correct me if I am wrong. I do not know of any gold finish warfare devices that have the black in it. It appears to be a form of "antiquing" art. With that said, it is possible these were made awhile back but no idea when. I also have the silver finish ones that look exactly like these posted in another thread. I dont recognize this type "art" on warfare devices.

Chief,

I'm with Mike on this one, these look cast with a fake aging finish to me.

Keep in mind that the "deep wave" pattern dolphins are some of the most encountered fakes we see on the market in both full and mess dress sizes. Also, this being a Hilborn Hamburger pattern, I would expect to see one of the various H-H hallmarks on any original.

As far as the silver versions, I see them as well, which tells me the dies were either used post-WW2 for a short time or sold and used by some other manufacturer possibly for the collector market.

Tim

I agree Tim. These are not original devices. Now for the million dollar question. I know there is no way to know right or wrong. Would you suspect someone had these made to look old for "selling" purposes or had them made overseas as a "keepsake"? Just looking for thoughts. I lean towards the "keepsake".

Usually, the ones I've seen on Ebay or those sellers that have these listed on their sites have shiny surfaces and, for the most part, look brand new. I don't think I've ever seen one like your example where the details clearly look cast and with, what appears to be, that blackened coloration in the recesses. Almost looks like someone rubbed a paint wash over the badge and then wiped it off, leaving the recessed areas blackened.

IMO, if someone wanted a keepsake or sweetheart, they would opt for an example that is in great condition, but that's only my opinion here. May I ask, where you got it from? That might help answer the question.

Tim

I bought it at the flea market. The guy that I buy from, buys storage lockers. When he gets military coins, pins, medals, and things like that, he sells them to me for cheap. In this particular group, there were the two SS pins, a bunch of medals (modern day), 2 ESWS pins, both V-21 Vanguard, Marine Corps Combat Diver Pin, Navy Parachute Wings, and some other odds and ends. The only items that are not "original" are these two sets of Dolphins. I think it belonged to a Veteran that collected pins. It is really hard to say. I knew there was really no value in these items (nothing special). I just found these Dolphins interesting to say the least.