Layfayette Escadrille Monument, Paris

dutchbarge

Having failed over the decades to reach the Lafayette Escadrille Monument by car while either entering or exiting Paris, I decided on my last trip to Paris (Aug 2015) to take the train from central Paris. It was actually quite easy and cheap and took about 45 minutes from Paris to Marnes Le Coquette. Not much legwork, just a short (15-20 minute), pleasant walk from the train station to the park in which the monument is located. Unfortunately, the monument was covered in scaffolds and tarps for cleaning. I must say that with all the problems in France, it was gratifying to see that the monument is being restored and that the park in which it sits is very nice. Despite what the media would have you believe, most of the French I've met hold the USA in very high regard. As you may know, below the monument is a large crypt in which 67 US flyers, members of the Lafayette escadrille, are entombed in individual marble sarcophagi. The crypt is naturally illuminated with south facing stained glass windows which depict operations in which the US fought during the war. After explaining that I had come a long way to view the monument, a very obliging French workman hiked a round trip of about 2 kilometers (during his lunch break) to pick up the key to the crypt so that I could go inside. I've since found out that this is extraordinary....very few, other than workers or officials during special commemorative occasions, ever get inside. I must say the crypt was very well kept with individual white roses (white roses represent purity and courage) on each sarcophagi. It was very moving to be in the presence of these American heroes of the Great War and to reflect that even after a hundred years there are still young Americans willing to sacrifice their lives to preserve the values they share with these ancient warriors. You can Google the monument website (American Battle Monument, Monument Lafayette Escadrille) which can do a better job than I with details of the personalities and architecture...but I'm attaching photos, some from inside the crypt, which offer a view you probably won't be able to see in person. Cheers, Bill

post-27187-0-46539900-1451253152.jpg

post-27187-0-95800200-1451253171.jpg

post-27187-0-29586100-1451253183.jpg

post-27187-0-36009300-1451253201.jpg

post-27187-0-45426700-1451253219.jpg

post-27187-0-50252400-1451253229.jpg

post-27187-0-00628300-1451253239.jpg

post-27187-0-36967200-1451253253.jpg

I've had the honor of visiting this wonderful place. Your comments and photos honor these American heroes and the French people who continue to hold them in high esteem. Your entry into the crypt must have been fantastic. Thank you for posting. No American military historian who visits Paris should miss this place. Bobgee

I could do some research but I'm going to guess you might know the answers to the following: Were the 67 members buried there all wartime deaths? Were others returned home? It's quite an impressive tribute.

I think there are only 49 US flyers entombed there, all of which died during the war, some of them having left the Lafayette Escadrille and died flying with the US Air Service. I believe there are also a few French Escadrille officers entombed as well. Cheers, Bill