WWII KIA Purple Heart with uncommon engraving style?

RDUNE

Is Bove purple the same one from group ? or is a seprate piece ? still not liking the intials like that just my opinion.

Agreed could be a mistake or variation on bove ?? I still would not want any in that format as official engraved in my collection !

I know others know more than me but I still not liking it !

Is Bove purple the same one from group ? or is a seprate piece ? still not liking the intials like that just mu opinion

The Bove medal is still with the Silver Star and Elks Lodge medallion. I photographed them a couple months ago and have no issue with the engraving.

I am not familiar with BOBVN, but from the links Dave posted all the medals in those threads have embellishments on Ts, Ls, Ks etc.

Does anyone have any more BOBVN examples?

Where did you get the Payne heart?

This has been interesting thread, glad we can have a civil discussion!

This has been interesting thread, glad we can have a civil discussion!

Of course it has remained civil...we're not talking about helmets or Vietnam camo! ;):D;)

I have a few of them, but here is one for comparison. I acquired this medal in the 1990's from the niece of the veteran. In addition to the medal, case, cream colored box, and tissue paper, I obtained the burial flag in the mailing box, the certificate and accolade in the tube, and several other pictures and pieces of paper.

post-316-0-71304200-1451359795.jpg

While not on three lines, the engraving resembles the Bove and Payne pieces. When I owned both the Bove and this group, I measured the size of the engraving. The two pieces were identical. They were also just a touch larger than the "normal" large machine engraved medals.

post-316-0-10137000-1451359979.jpg

Here is an interesting piece of paper that was in the Swan group. It is the return receipt that was supposed to be signed by the family and returned to the PQD. These are rarely seen and are not part of veteran's personnel file. I'm guessing these were kept by the PQD and eventually discarded. However, they me be somewhere in the Archives.

post-316-0-93163200-1451360218.jpg

Scott:

Here is another one for you.

This medal has been shown on the forum and accepted as 100% correct.

When I first saw it 25 years ago, I thought it was fake. I thought it was fake for two reasons:

#1. The engraving was larger than any other large machine engraved medal I had seen; and

#2. When Kurt and I were logging KIA dates and comparing them to engraving styles, this one was for a far earlier casualty that the other in our database.

Given that information, I passed at a now bargain price.

Between then and when it was auctioned by FJP, I acquired the Bove group, the Swan group and several others. I was fortunate enough to see the piece again in person and measure the engraving. Sure enough, the letters were engraved the same width and height.

At that point, I started to believe.

post-316-0-98630000-1451361378.jpg

Frank i still can't get pass the middle intial thing but hopefully more will come out and we can say for sure its 100%

Here are two more. BTW I remember the D-Day heart great piece . This is why not a fan of this type engraving I have turned down many hearts this type guess I'm too picky ???

post-620-0-97640200-1451361630.jpg

post-620-0-68234400-1451361700.jpg

I have more middle initial "second of three" lined ones of the 1,104 I've photographed for my book...but I can't post the pics here, unfortunately. I do consider it an official engraving variation. Unless something comes up to the contrary before the book comes out, I plan on considering it official government engraving.

Dave you never stopped by to take photos of mine ? i know you were busy but i waited for your message. anyhow no big deal . i may be wrong but always been told initial should not be on its own line ?

I can't really comment on the Eddington piece as I haven't examined it in person.

I thought the argument was being made against the engraving of the Bove and Payne pieces because they didn't look like normal large machine engraving. If that is the case, I would agree that they are slightly different, but disagree in the fact that they are "not right". I feel that they are correct and that is what I've tried to show.

If the argument is based on the fact that are "not right" because they are engraved on three lines, "First/Middle Initial/Last, then I'm posting the wrong support. I don't have too many pieces engraved on three lines, but I do have a couple and have seen a few as well. I have also seen pieces with the middle initial and last name engraved on the second line.

As an FYI, this piece was from a November 1988 Al Gleim auction catalog. I saw the medal in person many years ago. The pictures are terrible, but I thought I would post it since it resembles some of the pieces we've talked about and it is well before the Internet and bobvn3. It's also large machine engraved and done on three lines. The engraving was larger than normal large machine engraving and it did have swirls in the engraving cuts.

post-316-0-24292400-1451363364.jpg

Here is one I have to a POW with the original engraving order from the PQMD. The date of the document is Aug, 1945.

017570233acd19bd5d227721ffc1752efa1b696c33.jpg

013c0236a71e11aed30c3761cff865083f5fe32807.jpg