509 PIR

Eric Queen

Not made like others I have seen but of course have not seen it all. Was wondering what other thoughts were. Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

Without holding it in hand I think its real.What is unusual is on most bullion 509th the bullion on the leg area runs on an angle instead of straight across.They were all hand made so this may be an exception.Again it looks real any history with it.Scotty

Thanks a lot Bill. No history on it that I am aware of. There are things I like about it but just thought it was somewhat different from the "accepted" versions.

To me it looks like an Andrew Butler / Old_Club_Badges reproduction (I could be wrong but this is my gut feeling)- I have one I can dig out tonight and post later, It is different than the norm.

As I had suspected it's the same patch, so either the ebay auction is for a fake patch or someone sold me a real one for $15. (insert Ha Ha Ha here).

post-329-0-55253900-1451404633.jpg

Thanks Bob. Sure looks like the same patch to me. As you said, someone did a hell of a lot of work for 15 bucks.

Thanks Bob. Sure looks like the same patch to me. As you said, someone did a hell of a lot of work for 15 bucks.

Eric, that's why I bought it, it's a great looking fake and I have a repro tankers jacket I was going to put it on but found a better repro patch I like better - one of Mike Bigalke's Chenille 504th patches, he had a local seamstress make them up and they're spectacular - I've even seen some people try to sell them as real.

Bob thanks for the great detective work I have never seen one of Butlers 509th patches.I should have gone with my first thought I do not like the bullion going straight across on the legs.Another of life's lessons You Are Never To Old To Learn.Scotty

Scotty, my father at 84 has a sign on his desk that states, "I am still learning" and I've adopted his approach to most things in life - people like you and him are very similar and I'm sure both of you have forgotten more than I'll ever know !

"GerDnimo"

Bob,

I was taking a drink when I read that and promptly spit fluid across my computer screen. Please send me the cost of a new computer screen.... It is YOUR FAULT!

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
WorldWarPatches

The seller / collector is very well known and I think his patch is 100% real. He is retired an honorable Navy Intelligence officer. He told me it was bought back in the 50's.

Pat I said it looked real in my first post but after Bobs post its a reproduction for sure.It does not matter how long someone has owned it if its wrong its wrong.No one is an Expert on this forum we are all students learning the hobby with each others help.Scotty