GI souvenirs from German tanker and the Reichs Chancellery

USCapturephotos

USCapturephotos

This is a nice little grouping I purchased from a buddy recently. The letter from the GI makes it. Sadly all I know is his name was Bill. No unit info. I love what he says about the jacket hanger and the insignia. Enjoy.

Paul

post-100030-0-19310200-1451231593.jpg

Paul

Very nice.

Like the part in the letter where he states to save the post cards as he wants to "paper" a room with them and not sending the uniform home as it wasnt in good condition.

Paul

Love that RK grouping. Reminds me of this cool photo, taken in Hitler's bunker - as late as October 1945.

Wonder where all those hangers are now...and those keys!

Chris

post-3671-0-11331700-1451328784.jpg

We Americans have always had this thing for souvenirs no matter what war we fight in but I have always wondered what about our then ally the soviets, did they bring souvenirs? I would guess that having anything with a swastika on it during Stalin's days would mean to be accused of being a fascist and win a free trip to the Gulags.

For me this photo was taken in july - August when the 2nd armored was in berlin. (4 july - 4 August).

Here is a photo of another one picked by a soldier of the 2nd AD.

post-28482-0-76850000-1451392424.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey Flyboy. The Soviets took home plenty of souvenirs as well. I have read accounts of all the trading that went on between the Soviets and the Americans in Berlin in the summer of '45. I have at least one photo in my collection of a Soviet soldier wearing a captured German dagger and have seen others. I will try to find it and post it later. Thanks for looking.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Hey Mike. Finally here is a close up view of the letter. Flyboy 1945. I am sorry but the photo of the Soviet with the dagger I referenced is actually in the hands of an author right now doing a book on war souvenirs so I can't scan that one for you. Sorry. There are photos out there of Soviet souvenir hunters though as I have seen them and own the one.

Thanks!

Paul

post-100030-0-10997700-1451397211.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those regimental flags the Soviets piled up was a big symbolic gesture at the end of the war.

They are on display today piled up just like they were that day.

I have a friend who told me about a Naval Dagtger he "souveniered."

He used it to open cans and other things.

Being a dumb kid at the time, I blabbered something about ruining a nice piece.

"That's why we were there." was his reply.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Great group-am reminded of the film footage showing Russians piling hundreds of TR flag standards in Moscow. Just imagine what the value would be in today's market.

https://youtu.be/KFG1JQm-Skg

considering they'd flood the market, I imagine substantially less than they are now

considering they'd flood the market, I imagine substantially less than they are now

One would think, but not necessarily.....I thought the same thing when a bunch of Russian capture P08 and P38's came into the country....It was thought it would affect the market and the collector's grade pieces would come down in value....When in fact, the opposite happened.....Bodes