WW I Rubber Boot Liners - Inserts?

world war I nerd

Just a bit more on moccasins:

War Department Bulletin No. 2, Washington, January 25, 1918 provides the guidelines for uniforms and equipment that each officer in France should be prepared to have. In the list, it includes:

"Mocassins, pair. Remarks: Reaching to the ankle. Large enough to wear two pairs of wool stockings, worn in rubber boots. Circ. Hdqrs. A.E.F. Sold to officers."

• 4 weeks later...
world war I nerd

Eagle-eyed forum member Chuck Thomas directed my attention to this 1919 dated photograph, currently on Ebay. It depicts a balloonist at the Plattsburg Training Camp in New York.

Mr. Thomas is to be credited with finding the only known photo of what are more than likely the moccasins mentioned in post No. 11 that were devised to be worn inside of the Army issued rubber boots.

Having now seen the moccasins, whose tops do not in any way resemble what I had referred to as "rubber boot liners", I will now concede that what we were seeing in the previously posted images of turned down rubber boots was not any sort of an insert. It was in all likelihood, just the underside of the canvas rubberized fabric from which the uppers of the rubber boots were made.

Thanks Chuck for informing me about this photo and to all who participated in this thread.

post-5143-0-37417400-1454472640.jpg

• 3 months later...

This is a Brit-made documentary about excavating a WW1 dugout.....really intriguing to watch......

...but I would specifically point out the rubber trench boot they find...around the 50:30 mark.....

That would be the only "real", documented WW1 rubber boot I think I've ever seen.

world war I nerd

MAW, thanks for posting the "Time Team" video. I love the military themed archeology digs. I've watched a number of other "Time Team" videos in respect to the and ancient Britons from the Bronze, Iron & Dark Ages, as well as the Roman occupation of that nation ... Fascinating stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

I finally got to finish looking at the video on Vampire and really enjoyed it- thanks for putting it on the thread!

David

• 7 years later...
Timothy Huntsinwinter

Im studying my tribe Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Dakota/Lakota they used the moccasins issued to them made out of sheepskin. They threw their boots away to the frustration of their commanders. They were scouts and runners and Id think they probably did it because when they would be quieter when they scouted and did raids at night, plus they were already used to wearing moccasins back on my rez. 

Timothy Huntsinwinter

Its true that those in the First Division on one occasion nearly drove the supply sergeants to stronger drink by throwing away their hobs when moccasins were issued, but they were all fighters, aggressive resourceful, and there's not a doughboy in the army who having seen them in action, doesn't look upon them with friendly, comradely eye. 

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle Sunday July 13th,1919 

IMG_1838.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg