Aerial Navy Survival Flares

Stony

Does anyone know the federal laws regarding shipment of military survival aerial flares? I know someone that is selling a survival vest and the aerial flares with launcher are in the contents, but they won't ship them because they said it's against the law because it's an explosive device. The flares are dated 1966, so I'm sure they are long past their expiration date.

Anyone? Value of 7 flares with launcher?

If they can be shipped, what is the procedure? I looked online, but couldn't find anything.

If I recall correctly they have to be shipped UPS Ground or FedX.No different than shipping rifle/pistol/or shotgun ammunition or black powder.They usually require a hazmat sticker on the box as well.

Shipping through the US POST office isnt allowed.

Technically as far as I know they are not legal to ship unless UPS Haz Mat. Probably not worth the trouble for you to have them shipped that method as there are special packing requirements and the Seller might not want to bother. Need to check with UPS on that to confirm. What they are worth depends on the model of flare set. USN or USAF? 1966 is an earlier date though. Without knowing any of that just a guess would be $95.00 to $149.00 by themselves. You see them on E Bay occasionally being sold by folks who are not as discriminating regarding shipping.

Technically as far as I know they are not legal to ship unless UPS Haz Mat. Probably not worth the trouble for you to have them shipped that method as there are special packing requirements and the Seller might not want to bother. Need to check with UPS on that to confirm. What they are worth depends on the model of flare set. USN or USAF? 1966 is an earlier date though. Without knowing any of that just a guess would be $95.00 to $149.00 by themselves. You see them on E Bay occasionally being sold by folks who are not as discriminating regarding shipping.

Here is the information on the flares.

US Navy Signal Hand Fired

MK80 Model 0

SSN FT1370-866-9788-X667

Lot# ****************

Penguin ASC Inc. TAL 2 11/66

Thanks Doyler, it's much appreciated.

However, it doesn't seem to be specific to flares, which IMO is more of an explosive device. I have emailed UPS for specific instructions regarding flares to see if they are treated any differently than ammunition.

Thanks Doyler, it's much appreciated.

However, it doesn't seem to be specific to flares, which IMO is more of an explosive device. I have emailed UPS for specific instructions regarding flares to see if they are treated any differently than ammunition.

They may have seperate guidelines but I didnt look into it.If black powder can be shipped I would think flares would be fine.Also flares for signal pistols on boats and plane's (civilian) are typically shipped.I was told by a postal worker here that much of the items they ask about are due to issues of being on the air carriers.

I saw flares listed here under camping equipment.

Best to check with them as to Hazmat and typed of packaging required.

We use to ship and recieve batteries and ship transformer oil for pcb testing.Never had a problem and had the proper hazmat stickers for the packages even though most oil samples were less than an ounce each.The shipping point we used for Ups had the hazmat stickers.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/common_items.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=flares&WT.svl=SRCH

Talked to UPS hazmat this morning and they will not ship flares via ground. They gave me the DOT phone number to see if they would clear it, and then UPS "might" ship it. It would have to have special packaging, paperwork and markings "if" they ship it.

It's beginning to become at least a hassle, so the seller might not want to jump through all these hoops "if" it can be shipped.

UPS also said their freight division might ship it, but they have a 100 pound minimum for shipments.

:(