Help with mfg date of US Navy marked S&W Victory Model revolver

dbrown0398

Received a very nice Smith and Wesson Victory Model 38 Special with US Navy property mark on it as a Christmas present & would like to know it's mfg/"born on date." Serial # is V2000XX. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi,

Derek

Charlie Flick

HI Derek:

If you can PM me with the complete serial number I can give you a very good estimate on the factory shipping date based on the information in the Victory Model Database. Is the U. S. NAVY marking on the left top strap?

Regards,

Charlie

HI Derek:

If you can PM me with the complete serial number I can give you a very good estimate on the factory shipping date based on the information in the Victory Model Database. Is the U. S. NAVY marking on the left top strap?

Regards,

Charlie

Just sent you a message. Thank you for your help Sir!

S/F,

JDB

Charlie Flick

HI Derek:

Thanks for your PM with the complete serial number. That makes it a lot easier for me to help you with accurate information.

Based on the compete serial you provided I can estimate for you with high confidence that your Victory was shipped from the S&W factory in the December 1942-January 1943 time frame. Your revolver likely shipped to one of two major Naval Supply Depots. I suspect that your example would letter as having shipped to the NSD at Oakland, CA as did most of the surrounding serial numbers in this range. S&W did not record manufacturing dates, only shipment dates. A factory letter from S&W will cost you $50. It can give you a precise date of shipment, certainty on the destination and some general background on this model. I can provide you with info on how to obtain such a letter if so desired. Where your revolver went after it arrived at the NSD is anyone's guess as few records have survived to tell that tale.

I hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie

In my past collecting days when the Victory Model was less appreciated, I would remove the grips. On occasion the frame was stamped with a navy ship designation

HI Derek:

Thanks for your PM with the complete serial number. That makes it a lot easier for me to help you with accurate information.

Based on the compete serial you provided I can estimate for you with high confidence that your Victory was shipped from the S&W factory in the December 1942-January 1943 time frame. Your revolver likely shipped to one of two major Naval Supply Depots. I suspect that your example would letter as having shipped to the NSD at Oakland, CA as did most of the surrounding serial numbers in this range. S&W did not record manufacturing dates, only shipment dates. A factory letter from S&W will cost you $50. It can give you a precise date of shipment, certainty on the destination and some general background on this model. I can provide you with info on how to obtain such a letter if so desired. Where your revolver went after it arrived at the NSD is anyone's guess as few records have survived to tell that tale.

I hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie, spending the $50 sounds like a good investment. Do I just contact S&W or someone else for the letter? I really appreciate your help. This forum is great! Everyone is always so willing to help.

Derek

In my past collecting days when the Victory Model was less appreciated, I would remove the grips. On occasion the frame was stamped with a navy ship designation

Checked that, but no luck, just serial numbers. Hopefully obtaining a factory letter will give me some more insight, but just knowing when it was shipped is a huge plus.

Thanks,

Derek

HI Derek:

Regards,

Charlie

Great tread, sent PM to Charlie with similar request. thanks Mike

Charlie Flick

Hi Derek:

Send me an email to [email protected] and remove the NOSPAM reference giving me your reply email address. I will then email you the S&W form to be used. I can't send it as a PM attachment.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Great tread, sent PM to Charlie with similar request. thanks Mike

Hi MIke:

I just replied to your PM with the shipping date estimates for you.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi MIke:

I just replied to your PM with the shipping date estimates for you.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie great info appreciate the help

Hi Derek:

Send me an email to [email protected] and remove the NOSPAM reference giving me your reply email address. I will then email you the S&W form to be used. I can't send it as a PM attachment.

Regards,

Charlie

Thank you Sir. Just sent you an email. If you don't get it, please let me know & I will try again. Really appreciate all of your help.

Derek

Charlie Flick

Hi Derek:

Sorry, but I did not get your email. Please try again and remember to drop the NOSPAM part.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi Derek:

Sorry, but I did not get your email. Please try again and remember to drop the NOSPAM part.

Regards,

Charlie

Just gave it another shot. Hopefully it will come through this time.

Thanks Sir,

Derek