The Christmas that never was....

doyler

Ron

Thanks for sharing. I came from a very traditional home were I was taught the real spirit of Christmas was in giving. My wife of ten years, and although I love her so, was not. Every Christmas we struggle over our differences and this year it has me down a bit. But I'm encouraged by your story and have hope that I can at least past down my traditional meaning of Christmas to my kids.

Merry Christmas all

Craig

Craig

It can be a hard time of the year for many people.

Thanks for taking the time to read and post a comment.

I feel very fortunate to have met and experianced getting to know the people and I am often humbled or left short of words when they will share some of the most difficult times of their personal lives.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

One who was there .....

Bravo Co. 101st Airborne Division, 2/506th ABN INF-We remember.

Posted on 1/24/17 - by Everett "Doc" Franks

We have a company reunion of those that served in Tiger Bravo during the Vietnam war approx. every two years and at that time, our KIA's are honored.
Bravo company lost 38 (confirmed-and also an unknown number of additional KIA's probably exist but can not be verified) killed in action in 1968, John was one of the first to lose his life. John was a medic and died during an intense firefight while aiding a wounded soldier. He lost his life protecting one of his Bravo Co. brothers.

Indeed, he died a hero. I was with him at his side when he drew his last breath. A wonderful man and friend died on 01-16-68. We in Bravo Co. will always remember him. Mason City and Gene Madson Thanks for honoring him..

Nice display again Ron! This is the time of the year that has me always thinking about the Battle of the Bulge GI's guys as this year it's very cold as it would had been back in 1944-45.

And now I think of Johnnie's short life on earth this time of the year also.

Craig

Thanks Craig

-4 here today.

Had a very conversations with the Bulge vets.One here in town was a POW captured with the 106th.Said all his men were green replacements and the german tanks drove straight through them.Manu of the 17th Airborne boys had great stories as well.

Kurt Barickman

Ron,

Thanks for keeping this paratrooper's legacy alive, I have read and seen his memorial on the beach at the end of Clear Lake downtown several times.

Kurt

• 11 months later...

Ron,

I just re-read your post and it stirs the same poignant emotions now as it did when first posted. Thank you for reminding us of the sacrifices of your paratrooper and his family.

To all of the "Johnny's" who never got to celebrate holidays and open presents again, you are not forgotten!!

Hope you have the happiest holidays possible.

Larry

Ron,

I just re-read your post and it stirs the same poignant emotions now as it did when first posted. Thank you for reminding us of the sacrifices of your paratrooper and his family.

To all of the "Johnny's" who never got to celebrate holidays and open presents again, you are not forgotten!!

Hope you have the happiest holidays possible.

Larry

Larry

thanks for taking the time to read and reply..

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this for the first time. Don't know how I missed it before. Very powerful story well told. The image of those unopened presents in that footlocker sums up the true cost of war. I will have to add this to my holiday reading list.

Mikie

Brian Dentino

Ron, I also like Mikie just read this for the first time, and must say that it took a minute or two to write this response. It is a very real window into how war, and it's casualties, effect families and friends and even those outside of their own close circle. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us, and Johnny's story. He is one of the many brave who have gone far too soon serving for our Nation. Wow, an emotional and well thought out tribute and story. Very sobering!

Thanks Scott,Mikie and Bryan for reading the post.

For at least a year I have actually been in contact with the other medic who was Johns friend and was by his side when he died.I had sent an email to him and was really honored that he replied let alone shared many details of that fateful day.I also sent him a copy of the post and told him to use it as he see's fit if he chooses to.Thought he could post it in a newsletter or maybe a association publication of the unit.He steered me towards a book I need to get that details the story of Bravo Company.Im sure he would be pleased to see so many remembering John.

Today 51 years ago John became forever young......

I thought I would finally share my reply I got from his friend and fellow 101st medic who was there that fateful day.

When people ask what the value is of a purple heart this should come to mind

"Doc's" account of that fateful day.........…
Thanks for the interest in John. I was physically at his side in his last moments of life. I'm not sure what information you are requesting, but in fact, he died aiding a wounded soldier during an ambush. I was also a medic and was the last to have hands on him when he passed away. Needless to say that morning, we were in a vicious fight with numerous entrenched enemy combatants (in their base camp) and John put himself harms way as he always had and it cost him his life.
At the time John was Senior Medic of Bravo Company and after his death I became the Senior Medic. John was the first medic to die during our tour of duty that began 12-07-1967. Unfortunately he would not be the last.
John was killed on, 01-16-1968 at around 0700 hours. He died of two gunshot wounds to the upper most part of his head. Most likely from an AK-47 in the hands of a near by enemy soldier.
During this particular action the enemy had set up an "L" shaped ambush/formation, well concealed, supported with several machine guns, anti-personnel mines, and soldiers in the trees to shoot down on us. This type of ambush allowed flanking fire along the line of travel, fire to the entrapped company to it's front, and from above. All soldiers caught in it's kill zone had little chance of escape unharmed or alive.
Bravo Company (accompanied by a recon platoon from A Company), walked into the kill zone at about 0630 and within 1-3 minutes suffered about 20% casualties and 3 KIA's. When shouts for medics went out, John went to the front and was hit shortly thereafter. I left my platoon which in the line of travel had been at the back of the company and fought my way through the kill zone and that's where I found John. He had been working on a wounded soldier when hit. John was alive but unconscious and in seizures. I lifted him off the soldier he had been aiding instantly realizing his injuries where simply too devastating to prolong life. I kept my hand physically on him and kept telling him he wasn't alone and all would be ok. I did all I could to comfort him in the last few seconds available to him and I as we were pulling back. I made sure that his body made it out of the first pull-back (as an artillery barrage was on it's way into this position).
After regrouping, evacuating the dead and wounded, and receiving reinforcements, we returned that morning eventually driving the VC out of their bunkers and base camp. John was loaded on a Chinook Cargo helicopter at around 0730 hours along with many other wounded and that's the last I saw him. We were all saddened by his and (the others) who lost their lives that day.
If you have specific questions feel free to ask them. I too, had some contact with John's mother before her death. I felt it was inappropriate to provide exact details of his last moments, other than in general terms to spare her further pain.

• 11 months later...
Kurt Barickman

Walked by the memorial on the beach at the end of main street on Clear Lake a couple of weeks ago. Sad story for Christmas.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...