76th Division Killed in Action Season's Greetings Post Card

TCSchultz

I came across this Post Card recently that was a Season's Greetings from the Anti-Aircraft Artillery Training Center at Camp Edwards, MA that was mailed by Cpl Walter J. Kudzia Jr. to his parents in Lawrence, MA the day after Christmas in 1943 and I thought it was of interest.

Kudzia was Killed in Germany in 1945 as a member of the 76th Infantry Division (see article from Feb. of 1945 quoting him below) so sorry to say he never made it home. Please remember him and all of the others who gave their all so that we could enjoy our Christmas in Peace.

post-17286-0-18127000-1450974516.jpg

post-17286-0-24718000-1450974530.jpg

kiaview.jpg
nophoto.jpg
Walter J. Kudzia
HOMETOWN
Lawrence, MA
HONORED BY
Ms. Wanda Kudzia
flagtrue.jpg

ACTIVITY DURING WWII

ENTERED ARMY, OCTOBER 1943. SENT OVERSEAS. WAS KILLED IN GERMANY.

National Archives & Records Administration
War Department Files

PFC Walter J. Kudzia

ID: 31083738
Branch of Service: U.S. Army
Hometown: Essex County, MA

emblem_army.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that my grandfather also served in the 76th Division during WWII but prior to that was in an Anti-Aircraft Artillery unit... Just like this soldier!

I wonder if they were both initially in an Anti-Aircraft Artillery unit but then transferred to Infantry to help during the Battle of the Bulge.

I heard from an Truck Driver/Engineer that everyone was turned into an infantryman to hold the line.

I'm sure that the case as once the infantry units were running low on replacements they looked elsewhere within the Army to find available troops and Anti Aircraft Units were ones that became donor units.

• 11 months later...

Best wishes to all for a Happy Holidays as well as a Merry Christmas and remember those who gave their lives so we could enjoy our freedom to do so.

• 1 year later...